What's the second hidden partition on Windows 7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustinRunyon

I have asked myself this question since the beta release of Windows 7. This partition includes the so-called Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) and is also required for Bitlocker to integrate encrypted partitions (this requires a recovery key). The Windows RE is included in Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 and now also in Windows 7. It can be started or installed from hard disk, optical media (for example the Windows installation DVD) or via PXE.

The Windows RE is used when starting the installed operating system is no longer possible. About the Windows RE you can:

Have errors corrected automatically that affect the Windows startup process,
restore the operating system from an earlier system restore point,
restore the entire computer over an image of the whole computer,
test the memory and
Open the input command line to get full access to the data to fix any errors.
The Windows RE can be started by pressing F8 shortly before the Windows loading screen and selecting the appropriate repair point.

So the partition mentioned here is only intended for certain emergencies, so if, for example, Windows does not start properly or the like. A perfect recovery is not possible.

If now think a recovery of partition d: that varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, if the recoveries are still running.

I recommend everyone, after you buy a "finished PC" to make the plate flatten first, divide it into two partitions and then reinstall system ... If you have no installation media for Windows with the PC here, so you can usually Start the recovery system and have disk created there.

its showing on disk management but when i boot my windows 8 back to 7, that particular drive vanishes while it will be still there when i have to select the drive for my os...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back