Why does a samba domain controller with joined machines require commercial license although I'm free user?

`Hi,

I'm running EasyBCD 2.4 on a machine that is joined to my linux samba active domain server in a small home network (3 machines). Although usage is solely personal it seems EasyBCD refuses to work without commercial license. So in reality EasyBCD is NOT free for personal use, it's free for NON domained joined machines.

This in effect means: Small Businesses using a workgroup will be able to use this product free of charge (although it's against policy) but cannot be enforced and experienced home users with a small samba domain server that should be able to use it for free are now forced to buy a commercial license? Are you serious?

Furthermore it seems that this change was introduced in latest EasyBCD 2.4, it was working perfectly before I upgraded from 2.3. Is there a download link to the old version at least? If not can you send me a registration code?

Best regards,

Marc

I have 80+ builds covering 11 years of development in my downloads folder.
This one any use ?

Attachments

• EasyBCD 2.3(1).exe
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
Thanks downgrading to 2.3.1 fixed the issue. It's obvious that this senseless check was introduced in 2.4.

I wish developers will finally learn that detecting a domain joined machine does not indicate enterprise usage. There haven been other products like ccleaner who also removed that stupid check after a short period because it caused too many falso positives and too little additional enterprise licenses. There are other more sophisticated methods trying to solve this but you have to put in some effort then.

Afaik the only change from 2.3 to 2.4 was to incorporate a fix for new Linux distros where grub architecture changes broke the boot chain.
There has been a recurring issue in my experience with the download URL where home users have found themselves being asked for licence details inappropriately.
It seems only to occur if you complete the registration.
Skip that and everything seems to work as it should.

Back