Win 10 64 bit & Win 7 32bit Dual Boot - Clean Installs on Separate Internal SSD's

SpudMcFeebie

Win 10 64 bit & Win 7 32bit Dual Boot, clean Installs on separate internal SSD's. I tried EasyBCD 2.4 three times and three times it crashed Windows 7 Pro 32 Bit and I had to reinstall the OS, updates and drivers 3 times.

As indicated by the attached images, EasyBCD is looking for a winload.efi file that does not exist in the Win 32 Bit \\windows\system32\ folder. Doesn't come as any surprise.

When I pull up the Boot Device Options during computer startup and select Sata0, Windows 7 runs beautifully. If I select Sata1, Win 10 runs perfectly.

Seems the easy fix is give me the startup path for Windows 7 Pro 32 Bit and explain how to edit the Bootloader Path in EasyBCD so I can replace Bootloader Path: \Windows\System32\winload.efi with the Windows 7 startup command - problem solved.

The EasyBCD menu needs to be corrected. It's not in Windows.

Attachments

• 1 - EasyBCD Dual Boot Menu.jpg
    1 - EasyBCD Dual Boot Menu.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 4
  • 2 - Results of Win 7 32 bit Selection and Boot Attempt.jpg
    2 - Results of Win 7 32 bit Selection and Boot Attempt.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
  • 3 - EasyBCD F drive path.JPG
    3 - EasyBCD F drive path.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 4 - No winload.efi in Win 7 Pro 32 Bit.JPG
    4 - No winload.efi in Win 7 Pro 32 Bit.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 3
EasyBCD doesn't have a boot menu. That's MS bootmgr's menu 100%.
EasyBCD isn't a boot manager, it's a tool for managing the contents of MS bootmgr's BCD store.
Your problem would seem to be that W10 comes from a UEFI PC and therefore uses the EFI System Partition to boot using the .efi version of bootmgr.
That version of bootmgr will attempt to find the corresponding level of loader (Winload.efi) not the legacy MBR/BIOS version Winload.exe.
i.e. You can't mix an old MBR installed version of W7.
My PC dual boots W10 and W7, but I installed both on GPT under UEFI so the correct loader is present in .../System32 alongside the legacy version
Both are 64 bit versions.
iirc. You can't boot a 32bit version under UEFI/GPT

winload.JPG

Last edited:
Back