Win 7/10, moving MBR etc

txsf

Hello!

On one HD I installed a long time ago, Win7. This is a SSD disk.
This disk "1" has a partition "System. Active, Primary"

1.jpg

Then I installed Win10 on another HD "3":

2.jpg
(I am currently booted with Win 10)

As I understand, the boot files are on Disk "1" in the "A" partition. When I turn the computer ON there is a boot menu "Win 7 / Win 10", all is ok. I noticed that if I unplug the Disk "1", the computer will not boot.

Now I want to get rid of Win7 for good, and transfer the Win10 system on the SSD disk "1". What is the best way to do it, with being sure that the system will boot in Win 10?

Thank you!

Changing the Boot Partition
will allow you to copy the boot files to C and make that drive bootable with the SSD disconnected, but since you want to use the SSD as your OS home, you'd just as well delete the W7 partition and use a Partition Manager to copy W10 into that space.
Keep the HDD version till the new one is up and running well.
You'll probably need to boot the old one, delete the W7 entry from the BCD (EasyBCD "edit boot menu"), and add a new W10 entry pointing to the SSD copy (by whatever letter the booted W10 sees it as (EasyBCD "Add entry" - give it a name to tell the two W10s apart)
Then reboot the new version and if everything's OK, you can remove the BCD entry for the HDD version and reuse the HDD for something else.
EasyBCD Basics

Hello, thank you for your reply!
Here is what I have now:

Win 10 is on my SSD, I copied copied the partition (that I kept in case...) where Win-10 was booting from on the HD 3 to the SSD (Disk 1), I also have moved the Win-7 partition that was on the SSD to another HD. I then corrected the entries in BCD and all is booting fine BUT:

On my SSD (Disk 1) the partition that was before "System, Active" is now just "Primary", and the partition where Win-10 is installed is "System, Active, Boot, Pagefile, Crashdump, Primary". There was before the move an unallocated 4GB partition, is is gone now.

On my HDisk 3 where Win-10 was booting from (and where I kept the files, in case...) the partition is just "Active, Primary".

My first question is: Does the config look correct? It seems strange that the System partition has moved and is now on the boot one.

In the BIOS boot menu I put the SSD first, then comes other devices including the Disk-3.

Disk-3 is labelled as "Drive F". When I try to change the drive letter from "F" to another unused one, Win message says that the drive is in use and that change can create problem. So I think that the system is still using the boot files on Disk-3, and I would like to remove this so I can physically remove this disk.

And my second question is: How to do this, so that all boot system comes to the SSD (Disk 1), including the boot menu that allows the current various options?

Thank you for your help!

Did you use
Changing the Boot Partition ?
That was an alternative to moving W10 across
If you've done both, you've created un unnecessary copy of the boot files from A into C and made C "active".
Simply flipping the "active" bit back from C to A using disk management should resume booting from A (as long as the corrective edits to the BCD were done before you copied the boot files across)
If you corrected the boot files after copying, you'll need to use EasyBCD > File > Select BCD store and point it to A and repeat the corrections there, before making A active and rebooting.

Disk Management flags have the following meanings

"boot" = "this is the system you're running"
"system" = "this is where I found the boot files for the currently running system"
"active" (on the first HDD in the BIOS boot sequence) = "this is where I started the search for the boot files"
"active" (on subsequent HDDs in the BIOS boot sequence) ="this is where I will look if I don't find something in the MBR on the first HDD"

Back