Win 7 won't start, can't safe launch, recovery CD won't let me repair

My computer is totally dead...

It wouldn't boot at all so I downloaded Windows 7 ISO through My Digital Life (from another computer obviously). Burned the CD using ImgBurn and burn was successful.

I was able to boot using the CD. I get to the screen when I can either 'install now' or 'repair your computer'. I'm trying to get to 'repair your computer' to access the prompt command but after I click on 'repair your computer', the window disappears and nothing happens. It's not 'thinking' or anything.

Am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated.

Mak 2.0

Mod...WAFFLES!?!?
Staff member
Your not missing anything. It should give you the repair screen from there. What happened to the PC to make it "die"?

I'm not sure if I should make a new thread for this, but I'm fixing a sibling's laptop, and the EXACT same thing happened, no clue what caused it though. I've tried every disk I think exists, the OEM restore disk, after clicking the repair button, the window closes and nothing happens, I tried it with the retail disk, ditto, even the repair disk failed. I went into a Ubuntu live session to extract the data and reformat, but what do you know? It tells my the Partition is damaged, and I should use chdsk /r, but there is no where I can.....

Terry60

Knows where his towel is.
Staff member
Huh, good idea, I was thinking I'd have to use a windows PE(it would take a long while to make), or hook it up to a hard drive enclosure(that I'd have to buy). ISO is downloading, I'll update the reply when I finish testing this.

EDIT: Okay, I think my problem is starting to deviate from the OP's should I make a new thread? When I load Partition Wizard, it says the hard drive is completely full, and the "Check File System" button is greyed out. I'm going to try a PE now. If I should make a new thread, mod or admin please PM me, I'm sorta new here.
EDIT 2: The only thing I could get to work is BartPE, I could do chkdsk /r there, it's finishing up right now, WINSAUSE. You do need a XP disk though....

Last edited:

Terry60

Knows where his towel is.
Staff member
Did you select a partition ?
The partition-related options are greyed until you make a selection to operate on.