Windows 10 and Dual Boot with EasyBCD 2.3

Hye,

first of all sorry my bad english.

I use EBCD for many years now without any problems. Several days ago I installed Win 10. I made a backup of my system with Acronis 2016. Then I created a second partition on my hard drive and apllied the drive letter "B" to this partition. Then I recovered my early Acronis backup on this second partition so that I have Windows 10 two times on one hard drive. One for evaluation and one for games. After that I started EBCD, created a new boot entry and set the hard drive letter "B" for the new boot entry. Settings saved.

The problem is that I can start the new partition but it seems that EBCD does not convert the letter "B" to the necessarily needed letter "C". So the system goes crazy and I am forced to restart. I have tried everything possible for the last 2 days.

I am very confused because I used the exact same procedure on another computer with Win 7 and everything worked like a charm because the second partition was allocated with the needed hard drive letter "C".

How can I solve this?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Regards,

Nightflight

This isn't an EasyBCD thing, it's because you cloned/imaged the original disk with the MountedDevices registry key having a specific volume ID for drive C: and then restored it to a partition on the same drive, so C: would still be available and reserved for the original partition.

From within the OS you want to change from B: to C: you need to launch the registry editor and go to HKLM\System\MountedDevices and delete the C: key from the list, then change the remaining occurrence(s) of B: to C:

Back