Windows 10 Shuts Down

Hikermann

Distinguished Member
Well, there most likely are folk out there somewhere who think Microsoft's developers can do no wrong . . .

But: What, exactly, is the benefit of Windows 10 -- entirely unprovoked or so directed -- simply shutting down on its own whenever it decides to do so? Perhaps it is an inherent MS principle to design this interruption so that an operator will be forced to sit back, take some slow breaths, try to relax, and enjoy the few minutes of non-computer time as Windows decides to start back up again -- entirely unprovoked or so directed . . . ?

So: Is this considered a "benefit" of Windows 10 or a "problem to be solved"?

Information appreciated.

Forced automatic updates have become the norm across the gamut as part of the overarching story of computers really no longer being under the sole/explicit control of their owners "for the greater good." See Chrome and Firefox for other examples of forced updates.

Sounds more like a component of your PC might be on its last legs.
W10 has been running non-stop 24/7 on my PC for however long it is since W7 went out of support, barring the occasional reboot of W7 to make ure it's still present and correct.

I have updates set to notify me and update on my instigation, and although there's the caveat that MS might decide to update critical things without notice, I've yet to see it happen on my desktop.
The backup Laptop is running W11 and left to do its own thing. Though it updates itself regularly, it's always there and running at the latest level whenever I occasionally have cause to use it.
Neither PC has just "stopped".

Last time I had major problems (getting the PC to boot after a Shut Down) it was eventually tracked down to the water cooling pump being too slow to get up to speed causing CPU overheating and the PC shutting down the boot to protect itself from frying the processor. Hellish difficult to diagnose because it happened so early on that there were no diagnostics available,

I've put off an update on a particular PC for months (the uptime was approaching 5 months) and literally just today I logged in and was greeted with a clean desktop. Windows had been threatening me with an automated reboot if I didn't install the latest updates and restart myself and I've been ignoring it for over two months. It wouldn't let me pause updates any more.

I wish I got a screenshot of my uptime before they yanked the rug out from under me!

In all cases, you can always see why a PC rebooted by checking eventvwr.msc - it'll display the reason for the last shutdown at the start of the logs for the most recent boot cycle.

Back