Windows 10 won't boot after move from old to new PC

gswiss

I had a look at a similar situation reported on the Forum (multi-boot off multiple hard drive, Jan 2022), but couldn't relate it properly to my situation.

I’m trying to run on a new PC a Windows 10 Pro currently installed on an old PC (with a different MB of course). The problem here has nothing to do with the new MB environment which I can handle. I just can’t get Windows 10 to boot on the new PC.

Current environment:
Old PC: Windows 10 Pro
New PC: Multiboot with Windows 7 Ultimate on the 1st SSD and two other Windows 7’s on the 2nd SSD. This setup works perfectly.

Actions:
I cloned the Windows 10 system from the old PC to the 2nd SSD of the new PC. Then I opened Windows 7 Ultimate to run EasyBCD 2.4 in Administrator mode. The BCD is related to the 1st partition (the one containing Windows 7 Ultimate). I clicked on Write MBR, then added 4 entries, one for each System. Finally, I saved and rebooted.
At restart, whenever I select Windows 10 in the list, I get the classical message stating that I should insert the installation device to do a repair.
On the other hand, all 3 other systems start up perfectly.

As mentioned in the other similar Forum report, I used the BCD Store feature and, surprisingly, there is only one entry in the Bootloader: Windows 7 Ultimate!

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated

You can't boot a newer Windows from an older version of bootmgr (e.g. W10 from W7) Windows bootmgr is only backwards compatible.
i.e. you need to use W10's bootmgr and BCD and add entries for W7 to it.

Thank you for your reply. I would have thought EasyBCD 2.4 had the capacity to create a W10 bootloader. However, I managed to get W10 to boot via another method and then used EasyBCD 2.4 to create an appropriate Bootloader.

PS Congratulations on using a Spitfire as a signature: the most beautiful and successful plane of WWII. Dassault, the creator of the Mirage and the Rafale, who was an Engineer, used to say "When a plane is beautiful, you can be sure it's a good one".

Back