Windows 7 recovery doesn't work

I've downloaded the recovery CD and put it on a USB, successfully booting my Asus aspire. Automatic recovery does not work, and when i try the manual method, bootrec.exe is not found. Is there anything further i can do?

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
The new version of the CD does the bootrec for you automatically, obviating the need to do it yourself.
What's the original problem you were facing?

I'm running g windows 7 64 bit, and it crashed last night. When I rebooted, it gives me an 0xc000000f error because the boot device is unavailable. When I try to run the recovery off of the hidden partition, it only gives me the choice to reset to factory, not to try and backup my data.

When I use you program, it does not find windows on the partition, and cannot access it to copy any data off. I'm running it off of a USB that I created on a vista machine running g 32 bit, so I'm not sure if that is the problem.

Is there any way to try and sav my data before I nuke the drive?

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
You can attempt to manually recover the partitions and their contents by using the command prompt tool and typing in "testdisk" without the quotes. Note that testdisk is a third party application that is not officially supported by NeoSmart Technologies or SystemDiscs.com, instructions on using it can be found at TestDisk - CGSecurity while support for testdisk is obtainable via the testdisk forums at cgsecurity.org Index page

can this software [h=1]EasyBCD[/h]make recovery partition & windows backup? i mean both. so, when i want to enter that partition it already finished install like new one the day i bought new laptop.

Terry60

Knows where his towel is.
Staff member
It's for managing the Vista/7/8 bootmgr's BCD.
It has nothing to do with backup or restore of the rest of your OS.
Each of those systems contains a built in system backup/restore imaging capability
Control Panel > Backup & Restore > Set up Backup
or there are many, many Partition management utilities which will do the same job, free and paid.