Windows 7 recovery / restore

steveferd

Hi there,

Thanks in advance for reading this and helping me. I noticed over the weekend that I received a windows update so I accepted it and let my computer go. I didn't touch anything until Monday morning when my HP laptop would not boot. It would go to the windows screen and stay there, then got to BSD, then into an HP utility to repair (which didn't work) or reformat and start over. I pulled the drive and got all of the data off using an external enclosure, so I know the drive works fine.

I decided to purchase the recovery CD and followed the instructions to use easy BCD to restore via flash drive. I tried auto repair 3 times (each time it seemed to address different problems) as stated in the directions to no avail. It still goes to the windows screen then to BSD.

At this point I attempted the system restore via snapshot option. I have a window that says: progress...mounting partition and preparing for System Restore procedure...Restoring data....

I have been at this screen for almost 2 hours now. How long should I expect this to take or did it just not work? Any ideas? Additionally, if this didn't work, can I just turn it off while it's in the middle of running the restore?

Thank you!

Last edited:
BSD ? are you referring to BSOD ?

I would leave the restore well alone if you can see the activity light flashing, or hear any HDD sounds.

Last edited:
yes, I meant BSOD...thanks! No sounds at all. Nothing going on. I just don't want to do any further damage. It's going on I think I'm at 4 hours now...so it's clearly not doing anything. I also emailed support with no response yet. Any thoughts?

What was the BSOD stop code ?
If you are restoring from a Windows Backup/Restore image, then as long as you're happy that it's a good image, it shouldn't matter about starting over again, though if it's not, you'll need another/previous image for your next try.
Have you accessed the HP "factory reset" image in the recovery partition ?
I used to have a link with the full instructions for using it but HP removed it from the public realm and made it accessible only to registered users.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=uk&docname=c00809678&dlc=en&product=1817074#RecoverOS
From memory, it was F11 at power-up to get into it, but if you register no doubt you'll find out.

The stop code is 0x00000074. When I went to the restore option, there was only one point to choose from, but it should be an ok choice since it was before the update.

The HP link you posted wasn't found. I'll register and see what I can do. I used to get the HP utility screen after attempting to boot, but that doesn't happen anymore. I probably should have just done a clean install from there.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Edit:
I found reference to F11 on HP site, and it doesn't work. goes directly to screen giving me option to start in safe mode, normal etc. pretty sure I've really screwed the pooch on this one.

Last edited:
Back