Windows XP Logs In and then back out!

Hi Everyone,

Hoping I am not too late to the party with Windows XP expertise.

I have a customer who is in this 70's and still using XP with lifetime license to Quickbooks. He doesn't want to reinstall as Quickbooks will require update/ activation which they no longer do, he doesn't need to go subscription license as his business is no longer active but he keeps up with tax, etc...

My week long concern - which actually made some progress after purchasing "EasyRE for Windows XP", is that now I can load into Windows XP, on original Western Digital (IDE) and cloned Kingston SSD. I believe it was a config made after EasyRE ran, because the original config had booting from Windows 7 (Samsung HDD) and Windows XP (WD) from boot manager working fine. Now after running EasyRE on the Kingston and Western Digital, we cannot log into Windows XP on either. There was one brief moment when we got into Safe Mode with Command Prompt, which showed Activate Windows, which we closed and access all data and applications (he was very happy). After the restart we couldn't seem to SIGN IN either Windows XP drive, with each one singularly connected to the PC.

Not sure what to upload in this case, I haven't touched XP in 15 years so really not fresh.

Any help would be appreciated.

Steps for rectifying this Log on and Log off immediately problem: 1 Log on to a networked computer or any other computer in your home connected to the same network. 2 Open Registry and Point your cursor to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. 3 Select File > Connect Remote Registry. Windows Log on and Log off immediately More
I dont have the PC, its just the SSD. I can access registry though by loading hive. Which I've tried to rectify with userinit.exe. it was set to D:\Windows, which I tried changing to C and F in-case the cloning changed the letter. But none of that worked unless there is more registry changes I can make?

What does the more mean at the end? Was this copied from another source?

Hi all,
I managed to copy the partition to VHDX and troubleshoot via Hyper-V.

The only method that I managed to login with was when I installed another copy of XP on separate partition, then change boot.ini to boot into original XP.

Not sure why this worked, as I thought the registry entries were for each partition of XP for activation.

Although most programs weren't working, trying to find a better solution for this issue as customer needs this resolved before End of Financial year.

Thanks all!

Back