Get the fix to “0x0000007a: KERNEL DATA INPAGE ERROR” boot error for Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 or 10 operating systems.
- 1 About the “0x0000007a” error
- 2 Fixing “0x0000007a” on Windows
- 3 More Information
About the “0x0000007a” error
The following information on this error has been compiled by NeoSmart Technologies, based on the information gathered and reported by our global network of engineers, developers, and technicians or partner organizations.
Description and Symptoms
The error messages, alerts, warnings, and symptoms below are tied to this error.
Symptom 1: 0x0000007a error screen
This error is also known as KERNEL DATA INPAGE ERROR. It is usually caused by a bad sector, a virus, a hard disk error or a failing RAM memory.
A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR If this is the first time you’ve seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps: Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need. If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode. Technical Information: *** STOP: 0x0000007a (0x00000001, 0x00000001, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) *** atapi.sys Beginning dump of physical memory
Here’s how it looks on Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 systems:
:( Your PC ran into a problem that it couldn’t handle, and now it needs to restart. You can search for the error online: KERNEL DATA INPAGE ERROR (Msfs.SYS)
Causes of this Error
This error has been known to occur as a result of one or more of the following:
Cause 1: System memory is failing
The most common cause of this error is RAM(Read-only memory) that repeatedly on a read/write attempt.
Cause 2: Disk file system integrity compromised
Another possible cause for this error is a damaged file system. This may happen because of disk read/write errors, power outages or virus attacks.
Fixing “0x0000007a” on Windows
Fix #1: Run chkdsk
If the 0x0000007a error is triggered by a bad sector on your hard drive, running the chkdsk tool will help in identifying and fixing the issue.
Follow these steps to run the chkdsk tool:
cmdin the search box
- Right-click on Command Prompt from the results list
- Choose Run as Administrator
- In Command Prompt type:
chkdsk C: /f /r
C:with the letter of the drive where Windows is installed.
- Hit Enter
Your computer may need to restart to run the
Fix #2: Check System Log in Event Viewer
The Event View tool can help you identify the device that’s causing the 0x0000007a error to appear.
To access the Event Viewer’s logs, follow these steps:
Administrative Toolsin search box
- Select Administrative tools from the list of results
- Double-click on Computer Management
- Expand the Event Viewer tree from the right side panel
- Expand the Windows logs tree
- Select System
- Check for any error messages that may help you identify the device that’s triggering this error
Fix #3: Run Memory Diagnostics Tool
The Memory Diagnostics Tool allows you to check if your RAM memory has any issues that can cause the 0x0000007a error to appear.
To access Memory Diagnostics Tool, follow these steps:
Windows Memory Diagnosticin the search box
- Click on Windows Memory Diagnostic from the list of results
- Continue with the Windows Memory Diagnostic wizard to complete the process and wait for the results
You can also use Easy Recovery Essentials’ Automated Repair that can test both your hard disk and RAM memory for any errors:
- Download Easy Recovery Essentials
- Burn the ISO Image. Follow our instructions on how to burn a bootable ISO image. If you’d like to have a recovery USB instead, follow our instructions on how to make a recovery USB.
- Boot into Easy Recovery Essentials
- Select Automated Repair
- Click Continue and wait for the Automated Repair process to finish. Automated Repair process will report any issues found with your hard disk or RAM memory:
To download Easy Recovery Essentials, click here.
Fix #4: Check hardware peripherals
If none of the above fixes are working for your PC to fix the 0x0000007a error, try the following tips:
- Remove any hardware peripherals that might have been added to your PC. Remove every peripheral each at a time, restart your computer and check if the error appears.
- Try to run a virus scan. If you don’t have an antivirus software, you can also use Antivirus Scanner of Easy Recovery Essentials.
Easy Recovery Essentials for Windows – our repair and recovery disk.
It’s an easy-to-use and automated diagnostics disk. It’s available for Windows 8, Windows 7 and Windows Vista. It’s also available for Windows XP and Windows Server.
Read more at Windows Recovery Disks.
- The NeoSmart Support Forums, member-to-member technical support and troubleshooting.
- Get a discounted price on replacement setup and installation discs: Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10.
This Windows-related knowledgebase article applies to the following operating systems:
- Windows Vista (all editions)
- Windows 7 (all editions)
- Windows 8 (all editions)
- Windows 8.1 (all editions)
- Windows 10 (all editions)