Vista and XP issue

Banefire

Situation. Vista 32 Ultimate on disk 0, disk1 partitioned in 2, 1st partition has XP, second will have Ubuntu but not yet..

Vista installed first on disk 0 as C:, XP installed next on disk 1, partition 1 as D:, Vista used to repair boot manager, EasyBCD installed..

Vista boots OK, when booting into XP get standard
"Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk" error, already checked boot.ini and it appears to be pointing in the correct location..

boot.ini looks like this..

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
Both disks visable in Vista and in XP during install and first desktop run before boot manager repair..

Can someone advise or point me at a relevant thread (have looked, but can't find exactly this problem).

Have previously used this config before a recent rebuild, can't think what I've done wrong this time..

Hi Banefire, welcome to NST.
Is your XP in a primary partition or on a logical disk ?
If it's on a logical disk, remember that that's inside an extended partition which also has a number.
If so, try partition(2).

Addendum:

Another possibility. When you repaired the Vista boot, it might have put the boot files on the XP partition (only if it's primary of course). The boot files are on the partition marked "system" in disk management. If so the rdisk value would possibly be (0) not (1).

Addendum:

Anyway, if you look in the wiki troubleshooter you'll see that it's case of finding the correct boot.ini values. Probably the fastest way to do that, rather than waiting for replies on the boards, is to start at 0 0 and work your way through all possible combinations till you hit the jackpot. Wrong guesses will do no harm (just won't work).
Remember it's the copy of boot.ini in the "system" flagged partition root which is the one in use, not necessarily the XP partition or the C: partition.

Last edited:
Another tip for having XP see itself as C not D is to first unplug the Vista drive to see a stand alone install on any second or third hard drive later copying the boot files over to the Vista primary with the boot.ini seeing the correction needed.

Are you using EasyBCD or simply the BCD editor found in Vista for this? For XP Home here along with Vista the EasyBCD tool adds one extra item on the end of the XP entry under "operating systems".
"multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer"

one problem down !!

Thanks guys

worked..

Trouble is I'm now getting BSOD on the XP install

STOP 0x0000007B (0xBACC3524 0xC0000034 0x0000000 0x0000000 ).

The searching I've done so far suggested in was down to the Mass storage drivers for XP not being installed.. Did a re-install with all the XP drivers in before I rebuilt the Vista MBR, but still BSOD on boot into XP.. Will continue to look for solution elsewhere but welcome advice if people still think it's relevant to this forum..

Cheers

Have you changed the default boot device in the bios at all? With more then one drive seeing XP on the second with Vista on drive #1 if you suddenly set the second drive as default there are no boot files or information there.

I've run into that on a few occasions until simoly seeing one drive unplugged while installing the other version as a stand alone copy. When first going to install XP on drive #2 drive #1 with Vista would be unplugged and later when plugged back in you simply added XP into the Vista boot loader(BCD file). If you hen booted from drive #2 only XP would load since everything for Vista was on the first drive.

SATA..

Will look at the BIOS re default boot device this engine

thanks all..

Addendum:

sorry, should have been this evening, not engine...

Last edited:
If you ever decide to add in an ide drive remember that will then be seen as the default boot device where you would need to go back into the bios again to reset the sata host/boot drive. When going to isolate one by unplugging the other that then is made default when only two drives are present.

On many boards once in the boot section hightlight the "hard drives" item and press enter/return to bring up the list of drives. The one at the top will always be the default boot drive. Simply highlight the other or one of any others installed to move them up if the present is incorrect.

the continuing story...

The BIOS order was RAID card first (I have a RAID 5 3 disk cluster for data storage), then primary hard drive , then secondary.. Changed the boot order to primary first and then rebuild build secondary driev with 2 partitions and put the XP install on the first.. All went well (multiple reboots for adding drivers OK), so thought I'd get it patched up before restoring the Vista Bootloader.. Unfortunately, have deployed XP SP3, I'm now back with the same BSOD error for XP.. Fun huh.. Moral of story, don't patch to SP3.. I'm back off now to do a repair install on the XP..

Any advice as to why XP SP3 Might be causing issues ?..

OK, not sp3 after all. looks like 1st reboot after xp install it falls over regardless.. Not drivers at all now is my theory..

don't have to F6 on install to see the second drive, so the lack of msd drivers shouldn't be an issue initially..

interestingly all through the xp os install reboots, the 1st os option works. once rebooting after the install complete (before vista boot repair), the 1st option from boot.ini gives the standard can't read from selected disk option (as expected as the entry added by the XP build would point to the wrong location) and the second (added historically using easy BCD gives the BSOD exactly as described above)..

tried XP repair install as specified on previous post, just the same BSOD error..

OK, not sp3 after all. looks like 1st reboot after xp install it falls over regardless.. Not drivers at all now is my theory..

don't have to F6 on install to see the second drive, so the lack of msd drivers shouldn't be an issue initially..

interestingly all through the xp os install reboots, the 1st os option works. once rebooting after the install complete (before vista boot repair), the 1st option from boot.ini gives the standard can't read from selected disk option (as expected as the entry added by the XP build would point to the wrong location) and the second (added historically using easy BCD gives the BSOD exactly as described above)..

tried XP repair install as specified on previous post, just the same BSOD error..

The BSOD stop error could be due to the wrong SATA controller setting....does your Vista OS have the AHCI driver? If so, then your SATA controller will most likely be set to AHCI in "SATA operating mode" in the BIOS. Change it to "ATA" instead, and see if that fixes it. :wink:

GL and let me know how it goes! :smile:

-Coolname007

XP only boots with SATA though while Vista can boot in either but is limited to the mode it was installed in. This could be a problem if your BIOS doesn't let you set the mode for each drive and at that XP may still crash even if its mode is SATA if Vistas drive is in AHCI and plugged in.

Many boards only see the ide(enabled), Sata(enabled), Raid(disabled) options when you first go to look in the bios. If you are running an array that would be ide(enabled), sata(disabled), Raid(enabled) as such. Then you only have the option for enabling or disabling the sata controllers and nothing for changing modes.

XP only boots with SATA though while Vista can boot in either but is limited to the mode it was installed in. This could be a problem if your BIOS doesn't let you set the mode for each drive and at that XP may still crash even if its mode is SATA if Vistas drive is in AHCI and plugged in.

AHCI and ATA are two different operating modes of the SATA controller...so i'm not sure what you are talking about. :huh: Anyhow, i think the OP should follow my original instructions, which might fix it. :wink:

Cheers! :smile:

-Coolname007

Addendum:

Many boards only see the ide(enabled), Sata(enabled), Raid(disabled) options when you first go to look in the bios. If you are running an array that would be ide(enabled), sata(disabled), Raid(enabled) as such. Then you only have the option for enabling or disabling the sata controllers and nothing for changing modes.

My BIOS has only the SATA controller, which has two operating modes: AHCI and ATA
The one that works with Vista, in my case, was AHCI, and the one that worked with XP (originally) was ATA. This is of course a very annoying problem, as it requires having to change the SATA operating mode each time you want to boot into the other OS...for instance, if I was in Vista last, and wanted to boot into XP, the SATA controller operating mode would be set to currently AHCI, which means i would have to change it to ATA before i boot into XP, or else get a BSOD stop error. :wink:

Fortunately though, i no longer have that problem, because i found the Intel Matrix Storage Manager for XP, which allows me to keep AHCI enabled, so now it requires no changing! :happy:

I downloaded the Intel Matrix Storage Manager from Lenovo Support & downloads - Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver for Windows XP, Vista (32bit) - ThinkPad
and then followed these instructions to install it:

Note: If you do not have a diskette drive, you can install Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver by the following alternative procedure:

If you do not have a diskette drive, you can install Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver by the following alternative procedure:

1. Start the BIOS Setup Utility menu.
  2. Select Config.
  3. Select Serial ATA (SATA).
  4. Select Compatibility.
  5. Install Windows XP and Service Pack 2.
  6. Download Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver from the Web site and extract the driver to C:\DRIVERS\WIN\IMSM.
  7. Run Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver. To do this, go to C:\DRIVERS\WIN\IMSM\PREPARE, and double-click install.cmd.
  8. Turn the computer off and then on again.
  9. Start the BIOS Setup Utility menu.
  10. Select Config.
  11. Select Serial ATA (SATA).
  12. Select AHCI.
  13. Start Windows XP. The Welcome to the Found New Hardware Wizard appears.
  14. Click No, not this time and click Next.
  15. Select Install from a list or specific location(Advanced), then click Next.
  16. Select Search for the best driver in these locations. Then select Include this location in the search:, specify the path, C:\DRIVERS\WIN\IMSM, and click Next. The Completing the Found New Hardware Wizard appears.
  17. Click Finish.
  18. When the System Settings Change window appears, click Yes. The computer restarts.

And it worked perfectly! :joy:

Another alternative the OP might want to try, is to download this driver instead: http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/dat....0.1017_XP.zip I haven't tried it though, as the Intel Matrix Storage Manager worked fine in my case, but i just wanted to offer it just in case, as a backup. As that is the direct download link, you will only have to click on it to install it! :wink:

-Coolname007

Last edited:
What I was referring to before was that some boards will see the ide on/off above the sata on/off right above the Raid on/off items in the advanced>onboard section. A lot depends on the make and model board as well as who made the bios. Award, AMI, or some other

I have the latest drivers with XP and AHCI mode never works so I haft to keep it in SATA. It BSODs otherwise.

I have the latest drivers with XP and AHCI mode never works so I haft to keep it in SATA. It BSODs otherwise.

Try the Intel Matrix Storage Manager that i gave the link to in my last post, and you will no longer have that problem! :smile: It works perfectly for XP, and allows you to keep it at AHCI mode, and still boot XP, with no BSOD. :wink:

-Coolname007

Back