Complex Multi-boot Problem

interesting stuff.

Can you please post the output of Useful Utilities | Power Console | BootPart.exe /tlist

interesting stuff.

Can you please post the output of Useful Utilities | Power Console | BootPart.exe /tlist
It might be a while before I can do that as I don't have any OS on the system which is booting now.

Using UBCD I know the files are all still there including ntldr, boot.ini, bootmgr and the Boot folder files -- the same size as expected -- but I can't open any of the BCDs to check them through EBCD, UBCD or UBCD4WIN to check its entries. Like all the major loved tools, a portable version of EasyBCD would be absolutely most useful for such situations. Shukran for your time.

Hey, you're welcome :smile:

You can run bootpart.exe from the commandline in UBCD. It's in the Program Files\NeoSmart Technologies\EasyBCD\bin\ folder.

UBCD cmd didn't allow me to use cd or any command outside of the x:\ dir. It simply wouldn't recognize the command, not even cd worked outside x:\ (which is the CD) so I could not get an output from that program.

One thing I did before this last step of making Win 7 bootable is save a copy of all the files on the second drive ( Vista G:\ ), leaving it active. So through UBCD I could restore those files to G:\, set BIOS to boot from Disk 1, and it booted back up with my last config into Vista.

However, starting EasyBCD opened the Win 7 D:\ BCD file rather than the Vista G:\ I booted up with. And indeed, timeout is at 0 seconds. Here's what BootPart returned:

Code:
Physical number of disk 0 : 366dc6
 0 : C:  type=7  (HPFS/NTFS), size= 104189526 KB, Lba Pos=63
 1 : C:* type=7  (HPFS/NTFS), size= 104189557 KB, Lba Pos=208379115
 2 : C:  type=7  (HPFS/NTFS), size= 104189557 KB, Lba Pos=416758230
Physical number of disk 1 : b2538d59
 3 : D:* type=7  (HPFS/NTFS), size= 104157396 KB, Lba Pos=63
 4 : D:  type=7  (HPFS/NTFS), size= 104157427 KB, Lba Pos=208314855
 5 : D:  type=7  (HPFS/NTFS), size= 104253817 KB, Lba Pos=416629710
Disk 0 Partition 1 is the active Win 7 install that was failing to load just before this.
Disk 1 Partition 3 is the active Win Vista install that I'm currently booted from (and what I was using as the boot device priorly).

Addendum:

Update: Just closing EasyBCD now after opening the Vista BCD and then loading the Win 7 one, my Vista BCD has gone missing. I'm currently booted on that partition with it... it's not in the G:\Boot\ directory anymore (and it was there before loading it in EasyBCD) nor is it in the Recycle Bin or anywhere else that I can see (not sure what happened there, it should be locked). It doesn't look like I'll be rebooting too soon!

Last edited:
Make sure that the Folder Options in the Control Panel of W7 has the settings as follows:
Show hidden files and folders (selected)
Hide protected system files (unselected)

and that you're looking in the same partition that Vista is installed to.

Coolname007: I have those options set correct and am monitoring all the root directories consistently.

Computer Guru: Thanks. I'll be placing this in the Vista [active, boot, system] root directory. On first update since placing it there (I recreated all the BCD entries fresh now), I'm not sure why but this is the first time Windows 7 OS partitions are each correctly referring to the BCD ID and after reloading many times, all the options have stuck with none of the previous bugs. Time to reboot.

EDIT:
That bootmgr did the trick perfectly -- all the OSes now boot fine! : )

Much thanks to everyone for reading, searching, replying and total efforts and help with this problem of mine.

So was this a bug in EasyBCD betas feature that the bootmgr wasn't being created as it should?

Last edited:
Back