Uninstalling XP From Dual Boot XP/Vista Installation

Walter B

I have both XP and Vista installed on my HDD. Currently, I can dual boot to either OS. I would like to uninstall the XP OS. I know I can't just delete that partition because the boot information is there (I think). Is there a way to do this without losing the Vista install?

Hi Walter!

Yeah, it's not too difficult either.
First, what are your drive letters for each?
Are they on the same HD? What partition is for which OS?

Drive letters:
With Vista running: C: Vista, V: XP
With XP running: C: XP, V: Vista

I have only one HDD. C: is primary partition, D: and V: are logical drives.

OK, the easiest thing you can do is just copy the folder called "boot" from drive C: to drive V:

THIS IS IMPORTANT:
Before you reboot, you *MUST* use EasyBCD and add a *Vista* (not NTLDR) entry to drive V:\ (from XP's point of view) or drive C:\ (from XP's POV).

Then boot into and delete the first partition from a decent partition manager, prefferably resize the second to the beginning.

To recap:
Add a Vista entry to the first partition after copying the needed boot files
delete the partition
reboot.

It *should* work, though the fact that you're using logical partitions might be a problem.

If it doesn't boot, just boot from the vista dvd, and "repair startup" and let it re-create the entry.

Computer Guru said:
THIS IS IMPORTANT:
1. Before you reboot, you *MUST* use EasyBCD and add a *Vista* (not NTLDR) entry to drive V:\ (from XP's point of view) or drive C:\ (from XP's POV).

2. It *should* work, though the fact that you're using logical partitions might be a problem.
1. Is there a typo here? Both POVs say XP.

2. Would it help if I convert the logical drive with Vista to primary?

Walter B said:
1. Is there a typo here? Both POVs say XP.

2. Would it help if I convert the logical drive with Vista to primary?
1. yeah, he meant c: from vista and v: from xp.

2. i think you should, but let cg tell you first.

OK, you can do that too:

1) First use EasyBCD to add Windows Vista as drive C:
2) Boot to a partition manager,
3) *Format* the XP partition
4) Convert Vista to Primary.
5) Merge it with XP's partition.
6) Reboot.

*Remember* In EasyBCD add a Vista entry to drive "C:" and NOT "C:\" (Bug being fixed in EBCD 1.5)

EasyBCD 1.5 is coming out *really* *really* soon. As in today or tomorrow. I say hang in there for a bit :smile:

I've been reconsidering. I have plenty of disk space, so I just might keep the XP. There's plenty of stuff I can't do with Vista x64, so the dual boot will come in handy.

Ah, I didn't know you were running Vista x64.
If you are its best to have a copy of x86 XP running somewhere. Then the x86 stuff works and the stuff that Vista breaks still work too.. Good idea.

Take care!

Computer Guru said:
OK, you can do that too:

1) First use EasyBCD to add Windows Vista as drive C:
2) Boot to a partition manager,
3) *Format* the XP partition
4) Convert Vista to Primary.
5) Merge it with XP's partition.
6) Reboot.

*Remember* In EasyBCD add a Vista entry to drive "C:" and NOT "C:\" (Bug being fixed in EBCD 1.5)

EasyBCD 1.5 is coming out *really* *really* soon. As in today or tomorrow. I say hang in there for a bit :smile:
OK, CG, I've decided to do it. I'm using EBCD 1.5

I need some clarification on where to add Windows Vista as drive C: or is it now C:\?

Do I still need to copy the "boot" folder from XP to Vista first?

I'm going to do this from Vista, so should I delete all references to XP in EBCD?

Sorry about being so "dense."

Hi Walter!

OK, with EasyBCD 1.5 the C:\ or C: bug is gone.

So,
First in Vista via EasyBCD 1.5 add Drive C: as Vista. *DO NOT* remove the old Vista entry until the entire procedure has finished.
Then remove all XP entries via the add/remove panel
then boot into Disk Director, format the XP partition and *merge* the *Vista* partition into it.

Reboot.
Should work.

If not, put your Vista DVD in the drive, let the "press any key..." message time out, enter Vista and reconfigure it from there.

Computer Guru said:
Hi Walter!

OK, with EasyBCD 1.5 the C:\ or C: bug is gone.

So,
First in Vista via EasyBCD 1.5 add Drive C: as Vista. *DO NOT* remove the old Vista entry until the entire procedure has finished.
Then remove all XP entries via the add/remove panel
then boot into Disk Director, format the XP partition and *merge* the *Vista* partition into it.

Reboot.
Should work.

If not, put your Vista DVD in the drive, let the "press any key..." message time out, enter Vista and reconfigure it from there.
Thanks. You don't mention copying the "boot" directory from XP to Vista. Is that not needed with this procedure?

I know I'm being a PIA, but I want to get this right.

Ouch.
Yes, you will most certainly need the boot directory, and to be safe, might as well copy bootsect.bak as well to the Vista drive....

Thanks for catching that.

Success! It took a couple of "repairs" from the Vista DVD and a Registry hack, but it's working fine. I had to do the registry hack because somehow the boot drive entry didn't change to c:

:booyah: :grinning:

Makes sense... Vista wouldn't want to change.

That's GREAT news, congratulations!

(hope this doesn't mean you leave us though! we liked seeing you about!!!)

Congrats Walter!!

Back