Windows 7 Recovery Discs Download

Status
Not open for further replies.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
In keeping with NST tradition, I've created and uploaded the ISO images for the Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit recovery discs, ready for anyone that needs them. Seeing as the holiday season is getting real close and Windows 7 is about to hit the shelves, I think the number of people needing this disc is about to sky rocket.

Download Windows 7 System Recovery Discs The NeoSmart Files

Pass on the link and happy downloading!

Terrific , Mahmoud.

I am sure a huge number of people will be grateful.

No point in having the Vista recovery disc. The 7 one repairs Vista better than the Vista one does.

Try this:

On a Vista machine - write nt52 bootsector code and mbr, and delete bootmgr and the Boot folder.

Run startup repair from the 7 system recovery options 3 times ( same bit version as the Vista installation ) . Perfect.

Last edited:
Thanks, SIW2 :smile:

Technically, Windows Vista users are already licensed to use the Windows Vista repair disc and Windows 7 users are licensed for the Windows 7 repair disc.

Hi Mahmoud,

I posted the above link on another Forum - someone there asked why there was a size discrepancy

Did YOU make a restore disk and compare YOUR boot.wim file size to the one on the torrent? Mine is 168,035,538

The one in the torrent is: 168,390,841
I am not sure why that would be - it's probably something very obvious that I am overlooking.

Boot.wim itself is a different size? That's weird.

Did he create it from a system with all the latest updates installed?

btw, I did not burn from recdisc.exe then rip to an ISO; instead I used something known as a virtual CD burner.

64-bit: 168,390,841 created from Windows 7 Build 6.1.7600.16385 with RecDisc.exe with an MD5 of CDE81C3D7B325B33D8E0EA1AD7E93655

32-bit: 144,838,785 created from Windows 7 Build 6.1.7600.16385 with RecDisc.exe with an MD5 of D8C17663091088F594258FF40F23E4B6

Thanks, I will pass that message on.

Would the updates affect the size of the recovery disc ?

I thought recdisc just used winre.wim from the hidden Recovery folder.

Last edited:
The contents of the recovery CD are dynamically created each time you use recdisc.exe from the various system files in your Windows 7 installation.

Problem windows 7 recovery

I'm from holland and my english is not very well, so excuse me for that.
I have a uge problem.A friend of my gave me his computer whit a problem.
Windows 7 cant start.
system32/winload.exe. is missing or damaged.

I downloaded Download Windows 7 System Recovery Discs
and wrote it to cd.
Put cd in notebook and started up from cd.
Choose for "start up from last known good working configuration".
All seemt to go well.
After a few minuets the computer was ready.

Then i see something realy strange happend.
There is no windows 7 but WINDOWS VISTA on the notebook.
It is a notebook 1 week old whit a sticker that says windows 7.
After recovery there is windows vista.
How in the h... is that possible?

Can someone help me and tell me what went wrong?

Thanks very very much

Hi Peter,

Could it be the machine came with Vista installed and free upgrade to Windows 7?

I don't think so.
My friend bought the notebook whit windows 7.
There is also a sticker on the notebook taht says windows 7.
He did not upgraded it.

Maybe the shopowner upgraded it and placed a sticker on it.
I have to ask my friend if he has the box of the new computer.
Maybe something is pinted on the box.

Thanks for reacting.
I will get back tot this later.

I know this is probably a stupid question, but here goes.

One of my coworkers has a Compaq netbook with Windows 7 Starter edition installed that has become corrupted. The system restore options are no longer accessible from the F11 key, and the netbook won't boot to windows (just a blinking cursor after the BIOS screen). Of course, the netbook has no CD drive so the owner wasn't able to create the recovery CD that HP was too cheap to provide.

My question is this: provided that the factory restore partition wasn't damaged, can this repair disk also be used to access the system recovery menu to launch system restore on a Win7 Starter edition OS installation?

Thanks.

Yes.
System restore is one of the options available from the booted recovery disk.

Yes.
System restore is one of the options available from the booted recovery disk.

I really appreciate the info. I was concerned that, since the Win7 Starter Edition is not available to the public (only to OEMs), that it might not function with this.

Thanks!

I don't know what the disc in Post #1 does, or why it is needed? But I made a Windows 7 System Repair disc so I could use the Backup and Recover (from image file) feature built-in to WIndows 7, and I got a message when I booted from the disc that my boot blocks needed repair. I do have W7 in a dual-boot with WXP having used a version of EasyBCD from last year sometime.

Is anyone here aware of/familiar with this issue? I of course did NOT use W7's Repair Disc to "repair" my boot blocks, but maybe I should run EasyBCD 2.0 on my setup again? Using Repair option there?

:confused:

The disc does several things. Quoted from the article:

The Windows 7 DVD has a complete "recovery center" that provides you with the option of recovering your system via automated recovery (searches for problems and attempts to fix them automatically), rolling-back to a system restore point, recovering a full PC backup, or accessing a command-line recovery console for advanced recovery purposes.

It is mainly for those that got Win7 on their new PC and didnt get any media. Without such a Recovery Disk if you cant boot into Windows at all, then such a tool is needed. :wink:

You could the new EasyBCD 2.0 to fix your boot problems.

But I don't have a boot problem. What I said was "I got a message when I booted from the disc that my boot blocks needed repair" and I was wondering if anyone knows why that would be the case? Should I let the W7 Repair disc repair the boot blocks, or keep ignoring the message? Should I instead attempt to repair using latest EasyBCD?

General rule of life (especially PCs)
"If it ain't broke - don't fix it"

But I don't have a boot problem. What I said was "I got a message when I booted from the disc that my boot blocks needed repair" and I was wondering if anyone knows why that would be the case? Should I let the W7 Repair disc repair the boot blocks, or keep ignoring the message? Should I instead attempt to repair using latest EasyBCD?

No one can really say why the Disk said this. Maybe it found some inconsistencies in the boot information? Maybe you dont have a boot problem now but you might soon? We cant really say. We dont know every detail about why some of the things Microsoft software says. We just know how to work with it and fix it if it breaks. :wink:

General rule of life (especially PCs) "If it ain't broke - don't fix it"
I completely agree with this!

No one can really say why the Disk said this. Maybe it found some inconsistencies in the boot information? Maybe you dont have a boot problem now but you might soon? We cant really say. We dont know every detail about why some of the things Microsoft software says. We just know how to work with it and fix it if it breaks. :wink:
OK, I merely asked about it cuz I thought maybe someone here might say "oh yeah W7 Repair disc always does that" or some such.

I'm not gonna touch it for now, as I don't use the W7 repair disc but once in a blue moon anyway. Thanks for yr replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back