View Poll Results: What do u think of this thread?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • I Like it.

3 75.00%
  • I dont like it.

1 25.00%
  • Nvm.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP cannot be added in EasyBCD

Question Windows XP cannot be added in EasyBCD

Hi,

I've installed Windows XP over Win 7. Then I was able to boot to WIN XP only. But I fixed it somehow and now I have Windows boot manager with Windows 7 (resides on C) and Windows Server 2008 (resides on D). On D there is Xp as well, but it is not visible in Boot Manager. I've tried to add it with Easy BCD 2.0.2 and with 2.1 - unsuccessfully. I got error msg captured on the attached screenshot.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,

A.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Did you install XP into a folder with a name other than "Windows" or "WinNT" ?
    (That's where EasyBCD looks. If you use some other random non-standard name, the code cannot second-guess what you've called it)
    If so
    Rename the folder to WINDOWS temporarily, use EasyBCD to add the entry (auto), then rename the folder back again and use EasyBCD > Tools > Edit Legacy Entries to edit the boot.ini entry EasyBCD created to change the WINDOWS path to "your folder name" in both places.
    Make sure you are using the very latest Beta build, or you will probably have permission difficulties changing boot.ini.
    Terry

Baker of fine scones.

Please keep requests for help in the forums where everyone can see them, not in Private Messages.
    Posting a plea for help or information in the forum, will be seen more quickly by a widely experienced audience.
    A solution in the forum could also be useful to other future visitors, so PLEASE, no private requests. (they won't be answered !)

Your solution did work for me. But now I forgot tha password for my user. What is the fastest way to reset it?

Thanks in advance,

R.

Sorry, right from W95 through to W7 I've always installed Windows as a one-user, no logon, no password OS. I've never had the need to circumvent Windows logon.
    I'm sure web search of "reset windows logon password" will start you on the road.
    Terry

Baker of fine scones.

Please keep requests for help in the forums where everyone can see them, not in Private Messages.
    Posting a plea for help or information in the forum, will be seen more quickly by a widely experienced audience.
    A solution in the forum could also be useful to other future visitors, so PLEASE, no private requests. (they won't be answered !)

Do a google search on "crack windows xp password"
    Please don’t PM (personal message) for support requests unless you’ve already posted and no one has replied. Post in the forums so everyone benefits from issue resolutions.

MCSE+I, multi-boot with Windows 7, two widows XP’s, Two Ubuntu's and Fedora Red Hat Fedora working on a single 1T hard disk. Also a Windows XP installed on a second hard drive just to show it could be done.

There are CDs you can boot into that let you reset the Windows password.
    Mahmoud Al-Qudsi, Director

I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages

Follow us on twitter @neosmart or on Facebook!
    Like us on facebook!

Ok, so I did this:

1. I downloaded SAMinside from here: SAMInside

To find LM and NT HASH for my user.

The SAM and SYSTEM REGISTRY files are kept in drive:windows\system32\config

2. Then I put it in format "LM HASH": "NT HASH" in here: Objectif S. A leading Swiss company in the field of information systems security

For Instance CC5E9ACBAD1B25C9AAD3B435B51404EE:996E6760CDDD8815A2C24A110CF040FB

3. Finally I got my lost XP password back.

Thanks & Regards,

R.

Thanks for sharing those steps, and glad you got back into Windows

Congrats are in order

I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages

Like us on facebook!

Now I got another issue:

After entering the credentials, It logs me off immediatelly. You got any idea on how to fix it?

Thanks,

R.

I recommend just doing a repair install. It'll fix Windows without losing any of the data.

Instructions: How to perform an in-place upgrade of Windows XP

Like us on facebook!

Default Same problem installing XP over W7 previous install

Hi guys

I'm "half the way" working around this problem reading all this post and threads with similar issues.

Already got the W7 recovery disk fixed de MBR, used easybcd to add Windows XP entry (I have Vista and XP installation in one disk, and W7 on a second disk).

Having vista an XP on the same partition results on a diferent name for the XP folder (WINDOWS.0), so I have to rename it temporaly in order to easybcd could find it.

Already rename ths folders back but... were can I change the path on the multiboot options created with easybcd???

Using the edit legacy option only opens the boot.ini created when I installed XP, and it have the same path from the begining:

WINDOWS.0="Microsoft Windows XP Professional

I got the three boot option entries now, only that the XP entry is looking to boot a folder thats not there, I need to change the path to WINDOWS.0.

Maybe this sounds kind of newbie.. but I'm kinda stuck here right now..

You can't multiboot several OSs from the same partition.
    If you upgrade an OS in an existing partition, the old Windows folder is kept (renamed) for the purpose of system restore should you decide to back-out the upgrade. You cannot continue to use the old system.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Terry

Baker of fine scones.

Thanks Terry.. but the problem here is that I first installed Vista, then upgraded to W7 (on a second disk C:Vista, D:W7).
    But recently I made the mistake of installing Windows XP in the same disk I've installed Vista.

Obviously as we all know now this "trash out" the MBR where I've been booting Vista and W7.
    till yesterdar I've been working around on windows XP, when I found here in the forum this threads and follow the steps to bring back the boot loader of Vista & W7.

It works great and I'm running again in W7, but this days I've remember why I Luv XP
    and I wanted it on the boot loader too.
    But I have the same problem in this thread.. that my Windows XP have a different folder name.
    I rename the folder so that easybcd could finally find the XP installation and add the new entry as you suggested.
    PHP Code:
    There are a total of 3 entries listed in the bootloader.

Default: 
    Windows 7
    Timeout
    30 seconds
    Boot Drive
    D:\

Entry #1
    NameWindows 7
    BCD ID
    : {current}
    DriveD:\
    Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Entry 
    NameMicrosoft Windows Vista
    BCD ID
    : {02d193c8-c3b7-11df-b5d8-df493c16ae7d}
    DriveC:\
    Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Entry 
    NameMicrosoft Windows XP
    BCD ID
    : {bd64c1de-e458-11df-8320-d7065562cd72}
    DriveD:\
    Bootloader Path: \NST\easyldr1 
    Is the part of
    then rename the folder back again and use EasyBCD > Tools > Edit Legacy Entries to edit the boot.ini entry EasyBCD created to change the WINDOWS path to "your folder name" in both places.
    where I can't figured out how to edit de Windows path..

"Having vista an XP on the same partition results on a diferent name for the XP folder"
    Is this a statement of fact ?
    You cannot do this.
    This thread refers only to an XP installation in its own partition which has a non-standard Windows folder name.
    Terry

Baker of fine scones.

When I install XP this past week, I didn't think to much.. it was like an urge

I didn't want to mess with the W7 HDD where I have W7, so I choose the disk where Vista was installed, it only has one partition with the maximum capacity.

I selected the option of "leaving the filesystem intact" and proceded with the installation.
    Somehow it work... the vista folder is named "Windows" and that is why I supposed (it was only appreciation) that the XP folder was created with the name WINDOWS.0