Windows 7 Boot\BCD file is corrupt. Can't seem to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJO93

After turning on my laptop, I get a boot screen stating:
File: \Boot\BCD
Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

I've tried to do a repair from a recovery disk but that didn't work.
My latest attempt at a fix was to follow this guide http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Recovering+the+Windows+Bootloader+from+the+DVD
The automated repair didn't work, so I tried to manually fix through the command prompt.
When I type in the line [attrib -h -s X:\boot\BCD] it says [Path not found - X:\boot].
I also tried [bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd] but a window appears saying: The file or directory D:\Program Files\internet Explorer is corrupt and unreadable. Please run Chkdsk utility.

Does this mean my boot drive is corrupted or missing? I'm in no way a savant when it comes to computers and it's been a struggle to get this far. My apologies if this is posted in the wrong area, but I just registered here and I really want to get some help. At this point I'd just like to know if my computer can still be salvaged or not.
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

1. Start from recovery disc
2. Go to command line
3. Execute "bcdboot c:\windows /s c:"
4. Boot manager should be fixed now

Had the same problem, searched the whole net, found nothing, tried every damn command I could find, spent a whole day on this, and now I'm sharing the magic. :smile:

Okay, when you booted from the recovery disc, do you have access to your windows partition and is it located on c:? Sometimes when booting from a recovery disc, the windows partition gets mounted as d: or something else.

The "c:\windows" path must point to your actual windows path. The "/s c:" is the device letter of the actual boot device, which normally should be the windows partition. I found out that the "/s" parameter is not neccessarily needed most of the times.

Addendum:

Also have a look at http://social.technet.microsoft.com...l/thread/7998d8fe-14f1-4e03-bf9e-49a1918e099f.

Last edited:
Sorry if this is something I should know, but I can't identity where my windows is located. I followed the guide in your link but at the step where I should have been able to find my windows partition it only showed two partitions labeled 1 and 2. Both were primary, and one was about 25gbs while the other was around 570, which i assume was my recovery partition and local disk respectively. If windows is in my local disk space, then it's in D: while recovery partition is C:. I typed the command while partition 2 (local disk) was active, but it still says "Failure when attempting to copy boot files."

If you're on the command line, you can try to access your windows partition by typing "c:" and then "dir". It gives you a list of files and directories. If there's "windows" amongst those directories, then this is your windows partition. You can also try "d:" or "e:". Also follow the instructions given in the link I provided in my last post. It tells you how to make a partition active (most probably the larger of the two), just in case the partition became inactive (which I doubt).

I tried the "dir" command on c: d: and e: in both partitions, but each time and for each one the next line is always "C:\>" with the letter changing to which ever drive I type. No list of directories seems to show up.

Try "cd /d c:\windows" or "cd /d d:\windows" and so on. When the prompt says "C:\Windows>" (or whatever other drive letter), you're on the right drive.

Ok I finally know that my windows is in my d: drive. I went ahead and tried your first suggestion, this time making sure the right partition was active, and I used d: instead of c:. This got me the same results. Is there anything else I should do?

So you used "bcdboot d:\windows" and still got no success? Well, then I'm fresh out of ideas.

Did you have to change the active partition? Cause as far as I know, if you have EFI instead of BIOS, sometimes a start partition of around 100 MBytes is used instead of the windows partition.

I'm not sure if I have to. I was able to change it but I don't know what the default settings were. I guess I'll keep trying until tomorrow, and then I'll have to wait until next weekend to really start working on this again. I think I'll post this to the the related support section later, but thanks a lot for staying with me on this, you've been a great help :smile:

awesome!
this worked for me finally, after hours and hours of searching/trying different "fixes" and nothing worked.
thank you!!!

2. Go to command line

Had the same problem, searched the whole net, found nothing, tried every damn command I could find, spent a whole day on this, and now I'm sharing the magic. :smile:

~~~<3

2. Go to command line

This Worked like a charm, so much so that I had to make an account and thank you even if this post was made like 2 years ago!!! I've been working on this issue forever. :frowning:

2. Go to command line

Thank you very much!

This also worked for me (failed without the "/s c:" parameter at the end) and just signed up to thank you !

I love you guys. Usually when I post something in different forums, I never get feedback. This thread has been so long ago, I almost forgot about it. You really reward me by signing up just to thank me. Thank YOU... :wink:

I love you guys. Usually when I post something in different forums, I never get feedback. This thread has been so long ago, I almost forgot about it. You really reward me by signing up just to thank me. Thank YOU... :wink:
Yet another success! And I too have signed up just to: Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Was into my second day of trying to fix this when I came across this thread. Worked like a dream for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back