CPUs Codenamed After Cities?

Why not? That way they wont run out of names any time soon. But be thankful that all towns aren't named like some of the following.
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
or
Gorsafawddachaidraigodanheddogleddollonpenrhynareurdraethceredigion
(Both in Wales, U.K.)
or...
Tetaumatawhakatangihangakoauaotamateaurehaeaturipukapihimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuaakitanarahu
(New Zealand)
Krungthepmahanakornamornratanakosinmahintarayutthayamahadilokphopnopparatrajathaniburiromudomrajaniwesmahasatharn
amornphimarnavatarnsathitsakkattiyavisanukamprasit
(Thailand)

There aren't any gaps in those names but this board inserts gaps...a vBulletin issue, happens at McAfee too.

Last edited:
Why not? That way they wont run out of names any time soon. But be thankful that all towns aren't named like some of the following.
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
or
Gorsafawddachaidraigodanheddogleddollonpenrhynareurdraethceredigion
(Both in Wales, U.K.)
or...
Tetaumatawhakatangihangakoauaotamateaurehaeaturipukapihimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuaakitanarahu
(New Zealand)
Krungthepmahanakornamornratanakosinmahintarayutthayamahadilokphopnopparatrajathaniburiromudomrajaniwesmahasatharn
(Thailand)

There aren't any gaps in those names but this board inserts gaps...a vBulletin issue, happens at McAfee too.

It's actually an option in the admin center, I have it set to force a wrap at 71 characters (IIRC); otherwise they'd add a horizontal scroll-bar and mess up the layout.

Addendum:

...and for what it's worth, Intel does the same:

List of Intel codenames - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/article.php/3676031

From the second link:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Ever feel like you need a map to keep up with all of the products coming from Intel? [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]That's because the company uses one to pick out its codenames. While headquarters is situated firmly in the heart of the Silicon Valley -- Santa Clara, Calif., to be exact -- the primary development is done in Oregon, with some in the Sierra Nevadas area of northern California and some in its Israel facility. As a result, the engineers at Intel have picked codenames from their surroundings. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Since it's my job to keep these code names straight, I inevitably became curious about their origins. It became clear pretty quick that Intel was taking names from local landmarks around its development facilities. But take a closer look at newer titles, and it appears Intel has run out of local landmarks. The cities are now all over the map. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]I couldn't even track down a few -- Clovertown, Kentsfield, Yorkfield, Whitefield, Sossaman -- and Intel, for its own reasons, doesn't like to tie its code names to a specific city. It likes to say there's a Penryn in California and England, and won't say whether it picked one city over another in the name. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Wikipedia maintains a list, but I highlight some of the more interesting entries here. It certainly gives you an interesting tour of Oregon and the Sierra Nevadas. So, let's go for a ride. [/SIZE][/FONT]

Last edited:
how are those prononced????????????????? plus it does not fit on your drivers license :

name: mr. john smith 24 years of age
eye color: blue place of birth: Krungthepmahanakornamornratanakosinmahintarayutthayamahadilokphopnopparatrajatha niburiromudomrajaniwesmahasatharn

Back