Deleted Boot Entry With EasyBCD

Dav!d

Except that I fucking didn't...

There were two entries on my sister's Lenovo Yoga 720:

"Yoga 720 Win 10"

and

"960 Evo Win 10"

The "960 Evo Win 10" entry is a remnant of when I built her gaming rig. I first test-booted that PC with her laptop's boot drive. Later, I installed my 960 Evo and installed a test Win 10 install on it, with the laptop's drive still installed in the PC.

This is why there is the "960 Evo Win 10" entry on the laptop's drive. Obviously, this entry servers no purpose anymore as the drive is back in the laptop.

I today, after seeing that the laptop still had the non-Metro boot menu on boot, enabled "Skip the boot menu". I also thought that I might as well delete the dead boot entry, so I did.

I can guarantee that I did in fact delete "960 Evo Win 10" rather than "Yoga 720 Win 10".

Well, now the only entry that is still on the drive is "960 Evo Win 10"... However the fuck that's possible 😠

Yes, the Windows install does still work perfectly fine, it just can't boot by itself. Meaning, I can install it a PC that already has a boot drive, head into the PC's OS and assign a boot entry to the laptop's drive with EasyBCD. Then it boots fine, but of course only due to the help of that PC's boot drive.

Does anybody know how to get this drive to have a functioning boot loader again?

I'd greatly appreciate it!

You can point EasyBCD to the BCD on the laptop drive on your PC (File > Select BCD store), then add an entry for the correct OS on that BCD before returning it to the laptop.

PS
not a good idea to "skip boot menu" with other edits. Any slight finger trouble and... well you know what!
If you have a single entry BCD, it's also unnecessary anyway because bootmgr isn't going to present a menu when it has no choice to make.

Last edited:
Back