Not an EZbcd problem but a strange one that has plagued me for years.

joemardo1

Hi folks,

I have a an old computer of 13 years old with the old type of Bios, other than that the computer seems to be running fine.

I use EZbcd on a regular basis and find it a very valuable tool to have.

I also use Acronis and Macrium reflect to do backups mainly Macrium Reflect now.

The problem is this and I feel there has to be some reason that is beyond me.

Say I have made several Image backups and want to install one on a partition on a drive (I do have two drives one an SSD and old type of drive.) Putting the image of the OS to that partition is not any problem, but very often especially if its not a partition I have used for an OS before (even though I have done the setting in EZbcd to save in the bootloader) when the computer restarts and I select the new partition the Windows logo will appear with the swirly icon which seems to get no further even though there is a full OS on that partition.

As far as I remember if I was to re-install an OS manually on that partition everything will be ok.

Usually affects a new partition which may be a different size to the partition on the image file, or when putting the partition on a new larger SSD.

Its as if there is information contained within the image file, relating to sector size and position on the disk and the exact size of the partition which may be the source of the problem.

Any ideas gratefully appreciated.
Many thanks
Joe

Hey Joe,

This can happen if there's a hardware or driver mismatch between what your Windows is expecting to be booted on and what it is actually booted on. This can happen if you're using a different motherboard, a different type of drive (SATA vs NVMe), or a different type of drive configuration in your bios/firmware (AHCI vs IDE vs RAID).

Running an automated EasyRE repair will enable all the different boot device drivers you have on your machine (or at least the ones that EasyRE knows about) and can resolve this.

You can also try pressing F8 at startup to boot in safe mode - here's how to do that: How to boot into Safe Mode in Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, and XP

Back