Boots into Win7 doesn't give Boot menu for Win10

When I re-boot this Lenovo W550s laptop I don't get a boot menu. I looked in the power options and can't find anything resembling fast boot.

Docfxit

Ex_Brit

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Staff member
In Win 10 to see those power button settings you have to click "Change settings that are currently unavailable" - it's a pale blue link - you may have missed it.
There's a Tutorial HERE.
Also the EasyBCD settings are more easily adjusted if EasyBCD is installed on Windows 7.

Thanks for the reply...
I forgot to mention that I am currently booting into Win7.
I can't boot into Win10.
I do have EasyBCD installed and configured in Win7.

Even though EasyBCD seams to have Win10 configured for booting, I can't boot into it.

Thanks,
Docfxit

Ex_Brit

Staff member
I see errors. Your second image shows Win 10 on F: not C: as you have it in EasyBCD. Win 7 is on C:, so you need to correct that. You also may wish to alter to timeout to a longer period or perhaps "Wait for user selection".

Ex_Brit

Staff member
In Windows 7 open EasyBCD and go to Advanced Settings
Pick the Windows 10 entry from the top drop-down menu and then below set the drive letter to F:.
Make sure you also have Windows 7 in that drop-down menu set as C:
Save Settings
On the Edit Boot Menu page.....you can make the timeout longer or even tell Windows to wait for your decision. I prefer that last one, but then I multi-boot so in my case it's easier that way. Again save Settings.
Hopefully at next boot ytou'll have the cjoice of 7 or 10 and it should work if you got those drive letters correct.
Don't be afraid to go back and check before rebooting if you feel it necessary to check.

Thank you for the instructions to fix it...
I tried them. It didn't work.
I tried booting up to a Win 10 install disk. It didn't recognize Win 10 and didn't allow me to repair it.
I tried booting up to a EasyRE Win 10 disk. It didn't recognize Win 10.
I seems it's very easy to make Win 10 non bootable.
Do you have any idea what EasyRE looks for to recognize it as a Windows 10 installed OS?

Thanks,
Docfxit

Terry60

Knows where his towel is.
Staff member
You are looking at your BCD backup with EasyBCD, not the "live " BCD
You have something set in EasyBCD > tools > options > "automatically load......"
Either remove that or use EasyBCD > File > Use system BCD

Hi Terry,
You are a life saver. It worked!!!
You saved me so much grief.
I am so relieved it's booting again.
That's amazing.
I'm so happy.
Why would EasyBCD have that option? It seems very deceiving.
Why wouldn't EasyBCD have a red blinking light letting people know this information is not Live?
Why wouldn't EasyRE recognize Win10 and fixit?
I had lost all hope.
You are really great.
Thank you tremendously.
Docfxit

Ex_Brit

Staff member
Terry saved the day, thanks :wink:

Terry60

Knows where his towel is.
Staff member
There's nothing in that field by default, so vanilla "as it comes" EasyBCD will always operate on your "live" BCD.
However, it's possible to build a multi-boot where any or all of the systems have an individual BCD ( makes for good crisis fall-back ability), and EasyBCD gives you the ability to keep each/all up to date without the necessity to reboot via another BCD to modify it.
The "blinking red light" is the second line of the "view settings" you posted.