Having trouble dual booting Windows 7 and Fedora 17.

I had a Windows 7/Fedora 14 dual boot system running successfully. I had Windows 7 on /dev/sda and Linux on /dev/sdb. I had set it up using EASY BCD.

I then installed Fedora 17 Linux on /dev/sdb and I thought I had put grub in the first sector of /dev/sdb1 which was mounted on /boot. But I can't set up EASY BCD to boot Fedora. I am now trying EASBCD 2.12. I seem to have two choices.
I can choose grub(legacy) and specify /dev/sdb1 as the location or I can choose grub2. In the first case, when I try to boot Fedora, I get a single word on the screen saying GRUB and nothing happens. In the second case, I can't specify the location and it seems to want to put it in \C, which I'm sure is wrong.

When I use a Fedora 17 Live CD to boot, I don't find what iexpect in /boot/grub or /boot/grub2.

Can anyone tell me what is going onand what to do?

Addendum

I had a Windows 7/Fedora 14 dual boot system running successfully. I had Windows 7 on /dev/sda and Linux on /dev/sdb. I had set it up using EASY BCD.

I then installed Fedora 17 Linux on /dev/sdb and I thought I had put grub in the first sector of /dev/sdb1 which was mounted on /boot. But I can't set up EASY BCD to boot Fedora. I am now trying EASBCD 2.12. I seem to have two choices.
I can choose grub(legacy) and specify /dev/sdb1 as the location or I can choose grub2. In the first case, when I try to boot Fedora, I get a single word on the screen saying GRUB and nothing happens. In the second case, I can't specify the location and it seems to want to put it in \C, which I'm sure is wrong.

When I use a Fedora 17 Live CD to boot, I don't find what iexpect in /boot/grub or /boot/grub2.

Can anyone tell me what is going onand what to do?

I've made some progress. Using the grub2 option, when I try to boot Fedora 17, I get put in a grub shell. By using a kernel and initrd command, I can speecify what is in /boot, and then boot ends up booting Fedora 17.

But I still haven't figure out how to auomate the process.

There seems to be someting seriously wrong here. I think Fedora 17 made some changes with grub, and EASY BCD can't deal with them. It is a shame because it all worked flawlessly on previous versions of Fedora, at least up to Fedora 15.

I hope the makers of Easy BCD will figure out what is wrong and come up with a solution sometime in my lifetime.

The issue is with Fedora 17, they have updated it to work with UEFI. This is something that is very problematic to work with. There is a reason it is also called secure boot. There might be a way that Guru can work with it, but from what I can gather from the early testing with Windows 8, there also might not be. There was no way to get the Win8 Boot Menu while using EasyBCD cause of UEFI. It resorted Win8 to the classic menu which allowed for the dual boot.

Further testing and work needs to be done. But if what I am thinking is right, there might not be a way for EasyBCD to work with the new GRUB of Fedora cause of the UEFI.

Back