Help installing EasyBCD with 2 Win 11 M2 Drives

AdrianB

Hi,

I was referred this software from a colleague and purchased the EasyBCD software. So my story is this:

I have Win11 on my M2 drive for my 1 job. I need to install a separate Win11 on my 2nd M2 drive for a new consulting position where they require their own system for security reasons and monitoring etc.

So i was told this software would be able to assist with this when booting. My question is, how do i go about this? The PDF docs are all older versions of windows and im a bit lost.

What i think i will do:

1. Remove main M2 drive (for safety)
2. Install my new Win11 Pro onto my 2nd M2 stick in its current slot and sort out the software etc
3. Put the original M2 drive back in with EasyBCD installed
4. What happens next?

Im 99% sure my PC will boot into my Main drive since its in the main M2 slot. And then would EasyBCD identify the 2nd Win11 install on the 2nd M2 drive? How do i ensure its working?

Then when i turn my machine off and on, am i presented with a screen on which Windows install i want to use?

Is there a better way of doing this maybe? Having the 2nd M2 drive as an external?

Thanks so much for anyone who can assist me.

If you install your new Windows with the old one still there, MicroSoft will do everything automatically, adding an entry to the existing BCD for the OS. Subsequent boots will present you with a menu choice.
Be sure to label your target drive (I don't mean assign it a letter, I mean use the Label field when formatting the drive for use, so that you can identify it correctly when installing the new Windows. It's amazing how many people obliterate their old OS when mistakenly placing the new one by letter. Remember that drive letters are virtual labels, unique to the version of Windows that's running, and that includes the booted installation DVD, so it will have no knowledge of any letter assignment you may have made on a different system.)
If you do things the way you suggest, simply use EasyBCD to add an entry to the BCD of the booted OS pointing at the letter of the new OS as seen by the old one.

Install Win11 on the 2nd M2 drive, then use EasyBCD on the original drive to manage dual booting. Verify functionality post-installation for each OS.

After installing Win11 on your 2nd M2 drive 1. Install Win11 on 2nd M2. 2. Reinsert main M2. 3. Install EasyBCD on main M2. 4. Use EasyBCD to add 2nd Win11. 5. Check BIOS boot order. 6. Restart, choose Win11 version. After these steps, on restart, EasyBCD should present a menu allowing you to choose between the two Win11 installations. Make sure to double-check your BIOS settings for any boot order adjustments.

Back