Help me dual boot Vista x64 with Ubuntu 8.10 x64.

OK, please try replacing bootgrabber with the attached version, then run /list again and paste the output once more.

Thanks.

Attachments

• BootGrabber.exe
    98 KB · Views: 1
Just to mention I didn't uninstall the beta version but rather installed your version over the beta. Could it be that all files were not updated?

Anyhow. I'll try it and let you know.

New ouput is:

c:\Program Files (x86)\NeoSmart Technologies\EasyBCD\bin>BootGrabber /list

BootGrabber utility.
Copyright NeoSmart Technologies 2009 <http://neosmart.net/>

Failed to get MBR of disk 1. Last error: 0
Failed to get MBR of disk 2. Last error: 0
D,0,2094948
P,1,,39,12939423744,882663424,Yes
P,2,C:\,7,265188356096,161825742848,Yes
P,3,,130,1997678592,0,Yes
P,4,,131,19995655680,0,Yes

Addendum:

About that DevKit I read about in some thread. Is it available and would it help you if I installed it?

Last edited:
OK.

Replace bootgrabber.exe with this one, and try EasyBCD again.

If it still doesn't work, post the output of /list once more.

Thanks.

Attachments

• BootGrabber.exe
    98 KB · Views: 2
No go. But first error message which might tell something.

c:\Program Files (x86)\NeoSmart Technologies\EasyBCD\bin>BootGrabber.exe /list

BootGrabber utility.
Copyright NeoSmart Technologies 2009 <http://neosmart.net/>

Error issuing IOCTL_DISK_GET_LENGTH_INFO on disk 1. Last error: 21
Error issuing IOCTL_DISK_GET_LENGTH_INFO on disk 2. Last error: 21
D,0,2488468
P,1,,39,12939423744,882663424,Yes
P,2,C:\,7,265188356096,161813102592,Yes
P,3,,130,265188356096,161813102592,Yes
P,4,,131,265188356096,161813102592,Yes

Errors on Disk1 and Disk2. I believe those are SD card readers and such. Thus they do not have MBRs. Am I right when I think my harddrive is Disk0?

Addendum:

EasyBCD still hangs when trying operations in Linux tab.

Addendum:

When comparing the last two outputs I see that the latest output has same used space for all drives. That's not right :smile:

Addendum:

ok. time for bed. I'm really jetlagged :/

Last edited:
It shows the whole thing as used because as far as Windows is concerned, there is no space available on those partitions since they don't contain a known file system.

OK. Same thing again. Hopefully this time we'll get somewhere.

Attachments

• BootGrabber.exe
    97.5 KB · Views: 0
Great. Problem solved. :smile:

Now I'm off to install a Mac OSx too. I'll let you know if I run into problem.

Thank again.

Hey, zmalex, that's great! :smile: I'm glad you got everything finally working.
Mind telling everyone what exactly you did to get Ubuntu to boot (besides trying the latest EasyBCD version, and Bootgrabber, of course), to help future users?

Cheers.

-Coolname007

Ok

1. Install Vista
2. Install Ubuntu Live CD. I used manuall partitioning creating a swap partition and a primary partition.
3. When asked for installing Grub (one of the last steps and is located under the Advanced tab) you should not install it on hd0, meaning not installing in MBR of you harddrive but rather on the same partition you wlll install Ubuntu. In my case this was /dev/sda4. You can find this info when you create the partitions.
4. Boot back to Vista and get the latest EasyBCD beta v59. Install and select your linux partition in the Linux tab. Do not forget to click the Grub checkbox in the tab.

That's how I did it. So basically you follow the generic EasyBCD instructions using beta version 59 onwards.

Last edited:
Ok

1. Install Vista
2. Install Ubuntu Live CD. I used manuall partitioning creating a swap partition and a primary partition.
3. When asked for installing Grub (one of the last steps and is located under the Advanced tab) you should not install it on hd0, meaning not installing in MBR of you harddrive but rather on the same partition you wlll install Ubuntu. In my case this was /dev/sda4. You can find this info when you create the partitions.
4. Boot back to Vista and get the latest EasyBCD beta v59. Install and select your linux partition in the Linux tab. Do not forget to click the Grub checkbox in the tab.

That's how I did it. So basically you follow the generic EasyBCD instructions using beta version 59 onwards.

Thanks. :smile: That's what I wanted to know...whether or not you had to select the box called "Grub isn't installed to the MBR/bootsector", which you said you did. :wink: Just FYI, selecting that option installs an automatic version of NeoGrub that reads the menu.lst on the Ubuntu partition.

Like Guru said...Cheers! :smile:

-Coolname007

Back