i think easybcd break my windows 11 bootloader

guilleuy

hi. i have a huge problem. i will try to explain to you with my bad english.

days ago i saw a tutorial to install windows 11 without a usb stick, using Easybcd and creating a partition with the windows iso.

i cant do this way (dont remember why) and i decide to do it in the correct way using a usb booteable windows installation.

windows 11 was running just ok then.

but i didnt want to see that menu before windows boot that shows me like there are more windows installed.

so i open easybcd and delete the extra entries that says "windows 11" but i think that this didnt quit that menu i say before.

so then i choose "reset bcd" o something similar like a "restore to default settings" option.
THIS i thibk was my mistake.

so then windows was running ok for a few days,
but that menu before windows boot that shows like various windows 11 like dual boot never dissapear.

but one day suddenly my pc goes full black screen and windows never boot again.

then i reinstall windows several times, the first boot goes ok but at around 5 minutes EVERYTIME the screen goes black and make the sound like a device is connected (or disconnected) from pc and THE WINDOWS NEVER BOOT AGAIN.

i can boot in safe mode. so i think it is a gpu driver problem but is weird because everytime is the same error at the same time. i tried various windows 11 isos, even windows 10 iso and i have the exact same error.

i think that easybcd has some responsabilty here.

also is werrd because the menu showing like i have at least 2 windows 11 installed still appear sometimes.

i already search on internet and i already do in the comand prompt:
rebuildbcd
repair and redo the bootloader
format the uefi partition and reinstall the files to boot

but the problem its still there

i hope you undesrstand me and i really apreciate some help. thanks you

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're experiencing with your Windows 11 installation. I'll do my best to help you troubleshoot the problem.

Based on your description, it seems that the changes you made with EasyBCD may have caused some conflicts in the boot configuration. Here are a few steps you can try to resolve the issue:

1. Resetting BIOS/UEFI Settings: Start by resetting your computer's BIOS or UEFI settings to their default values. This can usually be done by entering the BIOS/UEFI setup during startup (often by pressing Del, F2, or Esc key) and looking for a "Reset to Default" or similar option. Save the changes and exit the BIOS/UEFI setup.
  2. Repairing Boot Configuration Data (BCD): Boot into Windows 11 in Safe Mode and open the Command Prompt as an administrator. Then, run the following commands one by one:
  3. bcdedit /export C:\bcdbackup
    attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s
    ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
    bootrec /rebuildbcd
  4. This sequence of commands backs up your current BCD, renames the existing BCD file, and rebuilds the BCD based on the available Windows installations. Follow any on-screen prompts and restart your computer.
  5. Updating GPU Drivers: If the issue persists, it's worth trying to update your GPU drivers. Boot into Safe Mode and go to your GPU manufacturer's website to download the latest drivers for your specific GPU model. Install the drivers and restart your computer.
  6. Running System File Checker (SFC) Scan: In the Command Prompt (run as administrator), execute the following command:
  7. sfc /scannow
    This command will scan your system files for any corruption and attempt to repair them if possible. Restart your computer after the scan completes.
  8. If none of the above steps resolve the issue, you may need to consider performing a clean installation of Windows 11. Ensure you have backed up all your important files before proceeding with a clean installation.

Remember, it's always a good idea to consult with a computer technician or seek professional help if you're unsure about performing these troubleshooting steps on your own.

I hope these suggestions help you resolve the problem and get your Windows 11 installation working properly again.

EasyBCD cannot be used to install another operating system. All it is is a BCD mirror which offers more choices than the system one.

Go into Edit Boot Menu in EasyBCD and remove the useless entry and replace it, or at least check that it is pointing to the correct drive letter for Win 11.

EasyBCD only changes the contents of the BCD in whatever way you specify.
If you're not sure what you're doing with it, you can indeed make your OS unbootable.
(Like regedit, it's a poweruser tool and will do what you tell it to do even if that could prevent the PC fron rebooting in the future - unlike regedit, it will warn you in BIG SCARY LETTERS if you've removed your abillity to reboot and urge you to create a valid entry before rebooting your PC)
Nothing you do with EasyBCD can prevent you from reinstalling Windows.
If a standard Windows installation fails for some reason, it has nothing to do with any damage you did to a former BCD. The new installation creates a new BCD along with everything else.

It's a complex issue, but EasyBCD alone may not be the cause of your problems. Try Terry60's advice and ensure BCD entries are correct. If all else fails, a clean Windows 11 installation may be necessary, so back up important data first. Good luck!

Last edited:
Back