Please HELP with Windows Vista not working after using Recovery Disk!

molkat

I recently accidentally marked my Recovery D: drive on Windows Vista to be Mark Partition as Active and then rebooted. I was then unable to boot up my system because it was missing the boot system
from my C: drive OS. I purchased your program Windows Recovery Disk.

I started up the recovery program but I did not go into the BIOS. The program just started up and ran just as pictured in your instructions. I tried to change back the C drive Partition to ACTIVE but there was no option to do so under Partitions. I then hit Automatic Repair and when prompted for which drive I wanted repaired I picked C: drive, which has my OS and it showed it was marked as INACTIVE. The program ran fine then my computer needed to be restarted.
I did not notice any errors that it found, however upon restarting ,my log in for Windows was very large, (like it was in the wrong screen size) and then it came up as a 32RUNDLL error and froze. I have tried numerous times to get it back up running but it wont work. The computer starts up and then the screen has like red static on it and the system just shuts off.

Please help me with any advice that you can. I have been able to get the computer to start up and get to the "Start up Windows Normal" page where you can pick if you want to boot up in Safe Mode or not and it did say at the top of the page that there were errors in the OS that were found and that I should reinstall the OS system. I never got a chance to press Start Windows Normal or Safe Mode, as it crashed and shut down again. Upon rebooting it just shuts off after the static-y red screen. Please help! .............

Last edited:
UPDATE: Still Having a problem

From the repair disk command prompt option, run the diskpart command to set the proper partition back to active
A Description of the Diskpart Command-Line Utility

I have downloaded and ran the 32 Bit Vista Recovery Disk. However, I am getting the same problem. Please know I have been able to go to the command propt and hit DISK PART.
I then was able to mark my C: drive as the active drive by typing LIST PARTITION and then SELECT DRIVE 0 and then then rebooted. My system comes up but I believe the error is now is that the Nvidia Graphics card I have is unable to be launched as my OS cannot find the driver to run it.

So once my systems boots up, you can tell the screen resolution is still off, and then it starts to load my personal settings. This is where I still get the Rundll32 error and it says I do not have the path to launch my video driver. I am able to then select: Let windows find the driver and guide you through the process but I still get an error that the path cannot be found. I brought up tthe Task Manager and through that I was able to run my G: Drive which had my Nividia CD in it. When that launched, it has an installation wizard that comes up but it says there is an error and it cannot install.

I also through the Task Manager typed C: Drive and that is listed as Recovery still. When I type D: Drive I can see many files are in that including Windows. I am confused. Is the wrong partition still marked as active? Do you know of of way to get the Nvidia disk installed through the command prompt before the OS loads?

Please advise and thank you for your help!

Right Click "My Computer" > Manage > Disk Management
That will show you which partition on each drive (if you have multiple HDDs) is active, and let you change it if necessary.

Right Click "My Computer" > Manage > Disk Management
That will show you which partition on each drive (if you have multiple HDDs) is active, and let you change it if necessary.

I do not have any Icons as my personal settings never load. It's just a blue screen. I can only access the C: Drive through the Task Manager and I did not see My Computer anywhere. I will look again, but any other suggestions since my entier OS is not loading and the NVIDIA card is causing the system to crash since the driver can be found?

Sorry, from your previous reply I thought you were running but with minimal graphics.
The bluescreen and limited ability suggest the possibility of an accidental OS letter switch.
If it is the problem, then happily, Vista/7/8 are capable of doing just enough to fix it
How to restore the system/boot drive letter in Windows

Ok I can try that but I do NOT want to make my computer worse and do more damage. I am not that skilled at all of this so while I am grasping the concepts; I just do not want to crew it up even more. I cannot run a back up with the state the computer is in. In fact I havent been able to back for a while due to disk errors so I am scared there will not be a restore point. Are you pretty confident this
will work?

You won't do any harm by looking.
Open regedit and see if the letter in the registry is wrong.
If it isn't, then that's not your problem and you won't have to change anything.
If it is, then you've no choice but to fix it if you ever want the PC to boot properly again.

You won't do any harm by looking.
Open regedit and see if the letter in the registry is wrong.
If it isn't, then that's not your problem and you won't have to change anything.
If it is, then you've no choice but to fix it if you ever want the PC to boot properly again.

Okay I will try looking; to get to regedit, I have to get to the command prompt right? The only way I can do that is through using the Recovery Boot disk as my system is obviously down. Can you type out exact what steps I should do? Thank you!!:grinning:

Back