SOLVED: Is there an easy way to have a Dual Boot Windows - 8.1 Kubuntu 22.04 with EasyBCD?

marini

I tried installing EasyBCD on Windows and adding Kubuntu as New Entry.
Despite trying the various possibilities provided by the menu in "Add New Entry" only Windows Boot works.

I tried the various "Linux/BSD" folder options given by the menu.
I enclose, as an example, what I get when trying to Boot Kubuntu having set "Type: GRUB 2" and "Drive: Automatically locate and load"

Attachments

• Senza titolo-1.jpg
    Senza titolo-1.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 1
Thanks Peter, is not as simple as I would have liked considering I'm not a genius... a completely new language for me! I'll do my best in the next few days hoping to understand and resolve the matter with your indication.

so Peter, I installed "NeoGrub" and the two buttons appeared: “Remove NeoGrub” and “Configure.”
So far so good but if I click the "Configure" button nothing happens.
But I found "menu.lst" in C:\NST, right where it should be... I opened "menu.lst" with notepad
but I'm not sure what to write in it.

This example below helps but I have no idea what the Windows 8.1 boot loader is. Should it be winload.exe ? There are 32 of them!
and kubuntu? how do i know "kernel" and "initrd"?
too complicated for me! :frowning:

default 0 #Pick the task to be run if the user doesn't pick one within the time limit.
timeout 10 #Give the user 10 seconds to choose a task.

#We use the "title" keyword to indicate a new entry in the menu.
title Windows XP #This is our first entry - it's number 0
find --set-root /NTLDR #Search for NTLDR on all partitions. Once found, use that partition as root.
makeactive #Make this the active partition
chainloader /NTLDR #Run NTLDR, the Windows XP bootloader
#If we're using a menu, we don't need to use the boot command - it's automatically implied.

#This is our second entry
title Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon
root (hd1,2) #Load Ubuntu from the 2nd harddrive's 3rd partition.
#Next Line: Translate (hd1,2) to Linux notation and set that as the root partition
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=/dev/sdbc
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic

In my case EasyBCD is useless and too complicated (I would rename it TrickyBCD).
I solved by reading the manual of my motherboard (Maximus Vii Hero):

press F8 key

Anyway, thanks for your attention!
Case solved.

That's fine with me Peter, you can leave the thread open.
I thought there was a useful procedure for letting people know that this topic was solved. :smile:

Back