System Reserved Partition on the C:\

W7 Ultimate C:\ is Primary active partition.

My system reserved partition has 100MB
My free space has 36MB/36% Free.

I need 50MB Free space.
Something to do with ASN Journal.
0x80780119
0x81000019
You know the rest.
What should I do?
Thanks.

I've now used EasyBCD to copy necessary files from the System Reserved partition onto the C:\ drive primary partition.
I want to boot from this partition alone.
It's been done OK but I don't know whether the boot-up process is reading those files still from the system reserved partition or the C:\ drive primary partition.
I want to delete the System Reserved partition.
I've got a rescue disk and an Image back up of my C:\ drive.

Can anyone throw some light on what I'm doing?
Thanks
Robert

Look at Disk Management. Whatever is flagged as "system" is where you're booting from.

Disk Management flags have the following meanings
"boot" = "this is the system you're running"
"system" = "this is where I found the boot files for the currently running system"
"active" (on the first HDD in the BIOS boot sequence) = "this is where I started the search for the boot files"
"active" (on subsequent HDDs in the BIOS boot sequence) ="this is where I will look if I don't find something in the MBR on the first HDD"

If System Reserved is none of the above you can format it.
(If it were still in use, Windows wouldn't let you do it anyway)

Hi Terry & thanks for the response,

I used EasyBCD to copy all the boot-up files required from the System Reserved partition on my C:\ drive to the C:\ primary active partition.
I then deleted all data from the System Reserved partition and converted that partition into a primary partition with a drive letter.
It's size is still 100mb. You can go back into Disk Management to do that if you want. It's also formatted during this action.
I then used a program called EaseUS Partition Manager to merge the Primary C:\ drive partition with the 100mb formatted partition next to it.
You do it that way round. You need to have a system rescue disk handy because EaseUs P/M completes the process via a boot up.
So you will need to go into the BIOS and change the boot- up temporarily from the rescue disk. On this boot up you will see EaseUs complete
the merge of the two partitions. Of course then you need to return to the BIOS and reorganize your boot up sequence.
I've ended up with one Primary C:\ drive partition. No System Reserved or unallocated partitions.
Just what I wanted and it works fine.
I went through the same procedure with my external Toshiba HDD which had an unallocated partition on it.
All this is just a tidying up exercise. You don't need to do it but it's interesting nevertheless. You do learn a bit more about your computer.

Robert

Back