Unable to find valid windows partitions

I just downloaded and ran Windows recovery essentials for a Windows 7 machine. When I select the automated repair button i get the message "Unable to find valid windows partitions on this computer ..." . I know that there are valid partitions. I beleive that some of the data is corrupt and thats what i am trying to repair. If i run the partition editor i gat the type of response "No devices detected".
Unsure of what to do.

Addendum

I am also wondering if anyone has ever had any luck using this utility with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit?

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
If neither the automated repair software nor the partition editor are able to detect your hard drive, it sounds like you may have hardware damage. If you're lucky, you may have a loose cable or something similar. If you're not, your hard drive or your hard drive controller (in/on the motherboard) is damaged.

The software is 100% compatible with 64-bit Windows.

Terry60

Knows where his towel is.
Staff member
As well as checking the connection of your HDD (does it show in the BIOS?), try disconnecting any other HDDs while you attempt a repair, especially if you have any old IDE drives on the PC.