Vista ruined my laptop please help

So I updated Vista about a week ago and it started to slow down and I'd get errors like svchost crashed. I did a system restore and upon restarting it all i get is a black screen with a cursor that can be moved around.

I purchased the Easy RE Windows Vista CD from this site and burned it. I booted it up using that CD, it takes me to Windows Recovery Essentials, I selected Automated repair, the screen tells me to select an OS, i have 2 OS listed

Windows Vista 32-bit (C:smile: NTFS 2GiB Not Active
Windows Vista 32 bit (D:smile: NTFS 72GiB ACTIVE

I do that autorepair and the program says it fixes everything.

After I restart using the hard drive I immediately get this error:

Your computer needs to be repaired
File Windows\system32\winload.exe
error code 0xc0000428

When that didn't work I tried to do System Restore from one of the points and nothing happens my computer freezes.

Shouldn't C: drive be where my Vista is located?
How do I fix this or should I just install windows 7 and lose all my files some of which are backed up some are not.

Terry60

Knows where his towel is.
Staff member
Sounds like you have more problems than a broken boot, but before you resort to factory resetting your PC, you can use the repair CD to access your HDD and rescue personal data to an external device.
It's a Linux OS and you should see the option on the initial screen which you can use in the same way as described here.
Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer - How-To Geek