title Windows XP [XP HOME SATA-2 (F:\)]
find --hide /Vista.C.HnS
find --remap-root /XP.F.HnS
find --set-root /XP.F.HnS
makeactive
chainloader /ntldr
boot
# All your boot are belong to NeoSmart!

When double clicking on a file while in Windows Explorer NotePad generally opens things up. Upon opening NotePad first it readily opened the file up. That part is solved. Now I'll try your suggestion on seeing it associated with NotePad.

For those just upgrading to Vista you no longer see the option for associating programs with file type in the "tools>folder options>file types" in an explorer window. That's now a simple right click and choosing properties to change what it is associated with there. Once that is done you simply double click while in an explorer window. In XP you went into the tools>folder options>file types while Vista simply made the process a bit easier.

Fingers crossed... Tools at the ready, Im off to create a dual boot.
Hopefully the HnS will stop the recovery problem which I wasn't aware off until I did the reading before jumping in.

Either I post back soon or the computer has been throw out the window :lup:

Happy to report back everything went smooth... Quite simple to be honest with the user friendly tools. EasyBCD i was very impressed with due to the options available to change Bootup your prefered drive as default ( In my case Windows XP) within a specified time rather than sit and have to choose the option, as If my memory serves me right, when you dual booted, the newest system was always default and if you required to boot your earlier system you needed to select on boot. Personaly I changed default to XP just for the fact that I am testing Vista first before a full install. Now 1 question, I take it the HnS is used for the reason that XP destroyed any restore points in Vista if you did not "Hide" the Vista drive. I know thats what I read and assumed but would just like confirmation.

Apart from that all went well and HnS was flawless in my experience.
Also downloaded the Vista Recovery ISO in case of future probs.

Thanks for the help
Added to favorites in case I come across any problems.
Will also pop in now and again to see if I can help out with what Ive learn't .

Cheers sparky2k1 :happy:

Hey, glad to hear it worked out well.

Seeing as I have 100% positive feedback for Build 57, I think I'll be polishing up the UI and officially releasing Vista Hide 'n Seek Beta 1.

With regards to the reason for using Vista HnS: you're right-on. It's main use is to protect Vista's restore points; though it does have some other "fringe benefits" as well.

As a member of the "Measure twice; cut once" school of practical philosophy, may I welcome you to the club Sparky.
You're a shining example of the benefits of reading everything first, before slipping cautiously into the shallow end of dual booting. Most newbies here are waving frantically from the deep end, as we throw them the wiki lifebelt.
(Now that I've gone grey CG - I find myself speaking in metaphor - Is this a side-effect ? )

CG - Sorry not to have tried the latest builds yet. That earlier problem unnerved me a bit, and after I got the system back, I did need a 6 hour chkdsk to sort out some screwed files on my data partition (one of the 2 which Paragon said were incorrectly formatted)
Since then I've also had a problem with XP refusing to update AVG from Rel 7 to 8 (it hangs) although it worked fine on Vista and on my backup XP. The problems all started after I lost the ability to boot with build 45, so I was a bit reluctant to try it again.
I have a suspicion that I might have installed 45 while a silent defrag was going on, but I'm not entirely sure.
Anyway I'll try to get a test of 47 done soon, since I seem to own the system most prone to breaking your code.
(another weird thing, when I fell back to the previous working build before 45, It reverted again to getting the disk numbers wrong after working flawlessly before, and I had to manually edit the menu.lst.)

AVG 8.0 seeing a problem going on XP? First you have to remove 7.5 and restart the system to complete the removal before trying to run the installer for 8.0. It sounds like something was still leftover to be seeing that one.

On dual booting sparkyk1 the newer version was always installed last until XP and then Vista came along with the boot.ini for XP and new ECD editor in Vista. By editing those or simply looking in the boot tab of the msconfig tool you can set which version of Windows is default. Mind you that Windows only and not a dual boot with Windows and Llinux for example there.

With the HnS tool itself while using EasyBCD entries to set XP as default be sure to still keep Vista default and the boot display time there down low if not 0 seeocnds. Here I kind of ended up improvising since Vista is default anyways of simply using the Grub4Dos screen set to 5 seconds and no EasyBCD entries required to see a reliable dual boot. That's strictly for a dual boot with Vista as the default.

PC eye,
AVG 8 installed fine with 7.5 still running, on Vista and on my backup XP machine. (automatically shut down and uninstalled 7.5 as part of the install).
When I did the same on my main XP, the install hung and I eventually ended up with AVG8 partially installed (2 components inactive). It wouldn't then successfully repair install or uninstall.
The system still contained lots of 7.5 which wouldn't uninstall.
System restore to the point before 8.0 installed ended with a broken 7.5 in place
Now I've got a system without a working antivirus, but the bits that are around refuse to go away.
That was how I left it when I last booted XP, some time ago now.
Luckily I'd just spent my sister's christmas present on a WinTV Nova T-500, so Vista now has a working twin tuner digital TV, and my main reason for using XP has gone.
One day, when I'm not battling unseasonal tropical rain floods, or trying to cope with grass that has gone crazy and is growing at 1" per day, or replacing the doors and windows in my crumbling cottage before they turn completely to compost, I'll pluck up the courage and spend a few hours trying to sort out the horrible mess that is my XP system.

So you are sick and tired of all the software problems seen with XP as well I gather. :brows:

The first attempt with the first download of 8.0 didn't go well here either due to a little bit of buggy dsl at the time. The second download went on nice and smooth and has been on and running steadily since. When running a few games or other apps usually 7.5 was put on the disabled list while I seem to have forgotten to do that with 8.0.

Whenever you download "ANY" program whatever it is you can occasionally expect to see goobers no matter how good the program is. Even installing Windows right off of the disk will see a bad install at times. That's the reality of things there. Why do you think techs make good money for solving software headaches for businesses!

The download link on the first post (both of them) don't work for me. I get a page saying i'm either not logged in (obviously not true since I just posted this), or I'm not authorized to view it.

The download link on the first post (both of them) don't work for me. I get a page saying i'm either not logged in (obviously not true since I just posted this), or I'm not authorized to view it.

me too... i can see other attachments but not this one, same problem .... can someone upload the program to somewhere ?

i closed , reopened browser enter neosmart.net then open forums , I have already logined , that the proof I had checked "remember me" in previous session . When I clicked one of the files in first post vBullentin wants me to log in. Ok I wrote my user name, password then I checked "Remember Me" then click "Log in" then it says "Thank you for logging in , A7P" then vBullentin wants me to log in again. I have tried many times it wants me to log in everytime before downloading attachments. When it wants me to log in again , When I clicked the main page of the forum in forum navigation, at the right "Welcome , A7P " message appears , weird..

http://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2275 in this attachment same problem here..
http://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2242 but in this attachment i can open or save that file...

i have been using,writing,managing,programming forums more than 10 years , i can say it is one of the most weird problem i have ever seen ...
Note : He/She is also a new member , may be the reason of that problem ?

It's actually a known bug in vBulletin and it's irking me too :smile:

I've changed a couple of settings - can you please log out, clear your cookies, then log back in again and attempt to download HnS once more?

I don't know whether this has anything to do with this but I've been getting this a lot here.

Attachments

• neosmart.JPG
    neosmart.JPG
    12.3 KB · Views: 78
Back