Windows 10 install problem

Ian H

Hi there - I have been using EasyBCD for some time to happily boot to either of two drives, one running W7 32 bit or one running W7 64 bit. I'm now installing Windows 10 (32bit) and the process will not complete, I eventually got an error saying the installation had failed during the boot process. Is there something I need to do with EasyBCD before the W10 install, maybe uninstall it (and reinstall later) or disconnect one drive?

Thanks, Ian

EasyBCD takes no part in the boot process. It's purely an application for managing the contents of the BCD.
All of the booting is done by MS bootmgr, which then chains MS winload.
During Installation of a newer version of Windows alongside older versions, the dual-booting is handled automatically by MS setup. (You can subsequently use EasyBCD on the running OS to tidy up the BCD cosmetically, but it's not necessary to use it at all to get an additional OS in your multi-boot if you're happy to live with things like "New version of Windows" as your boot menu entry)
The default action of setup is to use the pre-existing BCD from the original Windows installation (on the "active" partition) and add an entry for the new OS in there.
Since an older version of Windows cannot boot a newer, it will also replace the old version of bootmgr with the later (bigger) version from the newest OS
failed during the boot process
Do you mean during one of the many reboots that needs to take place during setup ?
It's necessary to make sure that DVD (or whatever installation medium you are using) is set in the BIOS to be higher priority than the HDD on which the system is being installed.
Otherwise, at the first reboot, instead of returning to the DVD for the next stage of the install, the system will attempt to boot from your half finished install with obvious results.

Thanks, that's really useful - and you're right I don't think I altered the USB media I've created to be a higher priority in the BIOS (schoolboy error!).

Cheers

Back