Booting a New SSHD that was Cloned

MudSpike

I cloned my old 2tb HDD (Windows 7 64bit) to a new 4tb SSHD using Macrium Reflect. I wanted to save the data on my old drive because things have a way of going south on me during operations like this. Once I'm satisfied with the cloning transfer I plan on wiping the 2tb drive and installing XP Pro 64 bit and running a dual boot and of course that's how I found EasyBCD and this forum.

During the cloning process the drive letter on my new drive and my new system reserve were changed to the next letters in line (E&G). The system boots back to my old 2tb drive just fine but in the boot priority menu all I have is the option to boot to Windows 7 and no drive options. The new drive shows up fine in the "My Computer" explorer window, in disk management and in the EasyBCD Add New Entry menu. From what I've read, it sounds like once I make my new drive my primary OS, the drive letter will automatically be changed to "C". Is there a way that EasyBCD can help me swap these drives so I can boot to my new drive?

Thanks for reading & any help is appreciated.

If you boot with your old (source) drive still connected, the disk signature conflict will cause the drive to take new letters instead of the old (though this depends on the cloning software and if it's good at what it does or not). EasyBCD has nothing to do with what drive letters your OS is assigned, that's determined by the MountedDevices registry key. After it's been re-assigned a letter, nothing will change it back to C: automatically (including making it active/primary). You'll need to manually go into the registry and change the letter as it appears under MountedDevices.

If you boot with your old (source) drive still connected, the disk signature conflict will cause the drive to take new letters instead of the old (though this depends on the cloning software and if it's good at what it does or not). EasyBCD has nothing to do with what drive letters your OS is assigned, that's determined by the MountedDevices registry key. After it's been re-assigned a letter, nothing will change it back to C: automatically (including making it active/primary). You'll need to manually go into the registry and change the letter as it appears under MountedDevices.

I removed the drive letter from my new drive and made it primary in the boot order then booted the system and it fired right up. Next I shut it down and unplugged the old drive and it said on boot

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem.
1: Insert your Windows installation disk and restart your computer.
2:Choose your language settings then click next.
3:Click repair your computer.
If you do not have the installation disk bla bla bla
Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

So out of curiosity I moved the sata cable from my old C drive to my new drive and it said on boot

Reboot and select proper boot device or insert proper boot media in selected boot device and press any key.

I plugged in my old drive and it booted right up. In the "My Computer" explorer window the C drive has the little windows icon attached to the drive and my new drive doesn't have it. So is my old C drive acting as the boot device for my new drive or is it somehow bypassing the boot priority and just booting me back to my old C drive? I'm confused...

How can I get the new drive to boot on its own? I had to do the GPT thing to my new drive to get Windows to recognize beyond 2tb, could that be part of the problem?

Back