Vista and two OS X installations...

xkelly

Hi,
Been using EasyBCD with my Vista/Leopard installation. Works great. I was wondering if you had any insight to the following scenario.

My functioning partition scheme is as follows
disk0s1=Vista, active, primary, ntfs
disk0s2=(empty partition or NTFS)
disk0s3=OS X 10.5.2

I want to have a second OS X installation on s2, but every time I create a Mac Journaled partition in that space (erase, format, etc), when I select the OS X option in the Vista bootloader (after reactivating the Vista partition), I get the chain booting error. If I delete the partition or format it as something other then Mac Journaled, everything is back to normal. Not sure what direction to go here, or if it's even possible to do. Ultimately I want to have two working OS X installation on the same disk, one for production, the other for testing... along with Vista, of course.

Any input appreaciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi xkelly, welcome to NeoSmart Technologies.

You'll need to get the Darwin bootloader on the first installation to see the second OS X install, and boot into it from there.

Good luck.

Hi xkelly, welcome to NeoSmart Technologies.

You'll need to get the Darwin bootloader on the first installation to see the second OS X install, and boot into it from there.

Good luck.

Thanks for the response.

That's the thing, my first OS X install on s3 has the Darwin bootloader. When I select OS X from the Vista Bootloader, I get the Darwin Bootloader, then I select OS X from the Darwin menu. That is until I formatted s2 with Mac Journaled.

Anything else you can think of that I can try. Is this even possible? Thanks.

Unfortunately, Apple has closed off their bootloader to any third party configuration or interaction; as they usually do in order to preserve the upper hand and force people to do things their way. At the moment, if Darwin doesn't see your other installations, there is nothing we, as non-Apple developers, can do about it.

If more Apple customers demanded an open environment that can be hacked and configured then we could work something out, but the way things are Apple is more than happy to keep things under lock and key.

Back