Fake active partition?

zwaldowski

NeoSmart's EasyBCD wiki states that NeoGrub can "Fak[e] primary/active partitions." How would I go about this? I've tried the "makeactive" syntax, but that only makes me have to boot from my Vista Recovery Disc to set my Vista partition active.

Yes, what I'm trying to get at rhymes with "Shmeopard," but for solutions' sake, let's say I'm trying to boot from an unreadable partition. :happy: I've come up with two solutions:
Code:
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
kernel (hd0,0)/NST/ch-boot
boot

Code:
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
chainloader +1
boot

What do I do to fake an active partition

Hi zwadowski,

You would use the "makeactive" command to do so, make it look something like this:

Code:
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
makeactive
chainloader +1
boot

Right, I've tried that. However, that sets the... erm, "not Vista" partition to the active one so I can't boot Vista again because of a "boot1 error". It won't work again until I stick in the Recovery Disk (BTW, thanks for having that) and setting the Vista partition to be active via diskpart.

Right - that's a problem we ran into when we wrote Vista Hide 'n Seek.

Here's what you can do: Use Vista HnS. Let it replace your bootloader with the HnS one. Then open C:\menu.lst and manually add an OS X entry with the makeactive command - AND add "makeactive" to the Vista entry in menu.lst as well. That way, makeactive will be issued whenever you enter either OS.

Um, right... I'm typing this from a friend's computer. HnS isn't much of a help at all if I can't get into any bootloader, particularly that of HnS. When the other partition is set as default, nothing to do with Vista/EasyBCD/BCD/HnS starts. Just the boot1 error.

If you're temporarily stuck because a non-bootable partition is set "active" and you need to flip it to get back to your system to enable you to run HnS ? ...... see this post

Back