Neogrub menu.lst for triple boot configuration?

hajiman

I have three operating systems setup on a single hard drive (XP, XP, Windows 7). I’ve been switching between them and hiding the inactive OS partitions using mbrwizard. I would like the old Boot Magic interface to select an OS upon startup from a menu – this hides the other partitions. The Operating Systems are otherwise unaware of each other. I've installed them in such a way as to make a blank partition active and hiding the other partitions before I installed the OS. This way the OS doesn't try to put the other OSes into its boot menu and boots directly.

I setup EasyBCD 2.1.2 on the Windows 7 partition and can boot into each of the operating systems but the other OS partitions are visible. I am not clear on how to hide/unhide... via Neogrub. I’ve been looking through documentation for a few hours but have run out of steam. I am imaging the pseudo-code setup listed below in the Neogrub menu.lst but haven’t tracked down what that syntax should be – don’t even know where to begin looking.

1. Can someone take a look and let me know what I need to change?
2. In EasyBCD I see information in the View Settings such as path \NST\easyldr1. Should I use the easy loader in the Neogrub configuration file?

Thanks!

# NeoSmart
NeoGrub Bootloader Configuration File

default 0

timeout 10

title XP – First partition

# Hide partitions 2 & 3
hide (hd0,1)
hide (hd0,2)

#Make sure first partition is not hidden

unhide (hd0,0)

#What do I do here? Do I enter “
chainloader (hd0,0)/ntldr”
boot

title XP – Second partition

# Hide partitions 1 & 3
hide (hd0,0)
hide (hd0,2)

#Make sure second partition is not hidden

unhide (hd0,1)

#What do I do here? Do I enter “
chainloader (hd0,1)/ntldr”
boot

title Windows 7 – Second partition

# Hide partitions 1 & 2
hide (hd0,0)
hide (hd0,1)

#Make sure third partition is not hidden
unhide (hd0,2)

#What do I do here?

boot

Ok, I installed Vista Hns. Where does Vista Hns store the menu entry names? I would like to rename them. The product offers an option to rename the boot menu entries but does not actually store the changes. I figured maybe I can do this manually.

Can Vista Hns be used for a triple boot that consists of (Windows 7, XP, Windows 7)? I have another computer with that configuration. Just thought I ask.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yes it can.
The grub information is in menu.lst. You can edit it with Notepad.
Take a look at this thread if you're interested in customizing what HnS produces (It never made it out of Beta, so it's still a little crude). Later on in the discussion there's an explanation of how HnS works and what precautions to take when applying future Service Packs to avoid breaking it and having to do a manual cleanup and rerun.
This logic diagram might also be useful

Last edited:
Back