A Crash Of A Different Sort - PC Refused To Start....For 15 Minutes

Ex_Brit

Staff member
Weirdest thing this morning and I thought I was doomed to squint at my tablet for the rest of my life because I certainly can't afford a new machine.
Went to power up and nothing happened at all. When I toggled the main power switch at the rear the speakers clunked their usual protest so there was power and I double checked with a voltage detector.
Took the side off the case and the usual power lights on the motherboard were glowing, but still no movement re: booting, fans etc.
So started setting up my iPAD if only to email everyone that I would be incommunicado for evermore....there's no way I am killing what's left of my eyesight squinting at that damn thing!
Then 15 minutes later the tower just powered up by itself. I've noticed occasionally startup will take a few seconds to maybe a couple of minutes to kick off in the past when the area the machine is in is really cold, but 15 minutes?

What's that a sign of? Dicky power supply? I'm leaving the machine on permanently from now on, just in case.

Could be a issue with the motherboard capacitors not having charged/discharged correctly? I would try resetting the bios the next time this happens with the physical switches/jumpers/pins on the motherboard, or by removing the battery for a bit.

Wouldn't that revert the BIOS to factory though? I guess I could upgrade it once again afterwards.

I wonder if maybe all the updates yesterday also controbuted.

Ah well then I can always try that should it happen again. Actually the M/B has a handy reset button right on it, no need to remove the battery.
I just tried a complete shut down and power off and then restart and it was as fast as ever so maybe it didn't like all those updates !!

Back