Can't Boot Win7 after Installing Win10

MudSpike

I had an urgent need to get a Windows 10 system up and running so I put a 1tb SSD in a Windows 7 PC that I have. I fought with the boot order for over an hour but I could not get it to put the DVD drive first. I finally gave up and just unplugged the Win7 drive and installed Win10 with no other issues figuring that EasyBCD would be a quick remedy. Well, I thought I knew what I was doing but, I can't get Win7 to boot. It gives me the option on start up but boots through to Win10 regardless of which system I choose. I figure the answer is likely easy to you pros but I've looked for several hours. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks for reading.

Can you post a screenshot of yor Disk Management, and the contents of EasyBCD "view settings" (detailed mode)

Sorry for the delay, life got out of control for a couple weeks there.

It's the e-drive, I can go in and look at my old files. I made an entry in EasyBCD on day one like I knew what I was doing, thought I should throw that in.
ebcd-dm001.jpg

Thank you Terry. Will it still be considered the C drive when it's booted in Win 7? Or will I need to change all of my file paths to E drive, such as my CAD file paths to textures and such?

Disk letters don't physically exist, They're virtual labels attached to the device in the registry of the running system.
Hence each system's letter map is unique to itself, and not necessarily consistemt between boots unless you manually assign letters to devices using Disk Management or other Windows commands. Unassigned devices are given the next available free letter as the system goes through plug and play detection during POST, so changing USB ports or HDD cables can result in unexpected device letter changes.
Similarly, there are no letters in the BCD entries, just a device UID hash of the unique serial number and the partition offset. EasyBCD translates that user-unfriendly mess into a letter for you (or vice versa) using the above mentioned registry map. Thus you must always address a device or partiton by the letter that the running system sees it as, not as it will see itself when it's booted.

Back