Change boot partition from Win7 to Win10

Taghkanic

Hi,
I'm a new user of EasyBCD, and would like to make sure I know the right way to do this before attempting it. I currently have a working EasyBCD multi-boot system with 3 OS's:
WinXP(32), WIn7Pro(64), and WIn10Pro(64), where each OS is installed on its' own drive as follows:
1642776174576.png
Notes:
-EasyBCD 2.4 installed on Win7, and that is set as the boot disk (Disk2) in bios and default boot OS
-It's working fine with iReboot installed on each OS
-This is taken from DIsk Management under Win7
-Ignore the DOS and WinME partitions, they're associated with VMWare VMs and not booted directly
-I've assigned drive letters to the System Reserved partitions of Win7(X) and Win10(T) so they could be selected within EasyBCD

The install order was: 1) WinXP 2) Win7 3) Win10 where each was done with just its' disk attached, so it didn't see the other OS's.

I'm using Win10 more frequently now, and whenever it gets a Windows Update, I have to change it to be the default boot OS in EasyBCD to make sure the install goes smoothly. I read in another post that it's best to use the most recent OS's bootmanager as the target of EasyBCD, and would like to change that to be WIn10.

I've read the Knowlegdebase article on changing the boot partition, and it sounds easy, but would like to confirm before actually attempting to avoid bricking things. Some things I would like to know are:

Do I change the boot partition in EasyBCD from Win7, or should I first install EasyBCD on Win10 and then change it from there?
What drive do I select as the new boot partition to get the bootmanager of Win10, the System Reserved (T) or (S)?
Should I uninstall EasyBCD from Win7 after changing the boot partition, or can it stay installed on each OS, i.e. will both see and modify the same configuration files?

Thank you!

Last edited:
You don't need to "change boot partition"
That's for a situation where you want to remove an old legacy OS which is still acting as the boot device for later installations and the system won't let you remove the drive for obvious reasons.
In your case, each OS was installed "blind" and is therefore independent of any other OS
All you need to do is boot W10 and add entries for your older OSs in the W10 BCD.
Once you've done that, you'll never again need to boot from any other drive.
Those older OSs will still be bootable via their own boot files and a BIOS change or override if you ever had a future catastrophe on your W10 drive, but barring that, their boot files are redundant.
You don't even need to install EasyBCD on W10, you can just execute it from its home on W7. Make a shortcut to the location on your W10 desktop.
EasyBCD is not a part of the system or its boot process, just a WIndows .NET application which is fully portable. (I have it installed on a shared data drive along with a load of 16 bit legacy portable apps which are uninstallable on a 64 bit PC)

Back