CountDown Timer Always on 5 Seconds

bbacle

I have a unique problem that I have not seen discussed here.
I have 2 Win 7 OSes & 1 Win 10 OS on my computer (each on a different HD).
The problem I have is that I can set the countdown timer to anything I want, but after 2 or 3 reboots, it always goes back to 5 seconds.
I never had this problem using EasyBCD before.
I am wondering why and how I can fix this.
Thanks.

I think it's Windows 10's default as EasyBCD merely copies what's in that system. This tutorial may help: Choose Default Operating System to Run at Startup in Windows 10
I have a similar setup. Make sure EasyBCD is installed on Windows 7. If you need to look at it and make adjustments when in the other systems you can; simply make a desktop shortcut in each one to the actual installation's executable. The easiest way to do that is to look up Neosmart Easy BCD program in the Windows 7 program list (Start - All Programs), right-click - Send to - choose Send it to - Desktop (create shortcut). then simply copy it to each of the other desktops. Don't forget other systems may have different drive letters when viewed in their individual Windows Explorer.

I dual-boot W10/7 and the timer is set to 2 seconds and never varies.
EasyBCD is not active during boot, only MS bootmgr.
Anything you do with EasyBCD to change a BCD setting (like timeout) will take effect at the next boot and be permanent unless you or something else changes it again.
Having said that, there is a possibility that when you "change" it with EasyBCD, you might not be changing it at all.
Reading between the lines of your OP, there's a hint
(each on a different HD).
that you might possibly have installed these systems independently, and that as a consequence, more than one BCD exists.
It's possible that on one (or more) of your systems you have EasyBCD operating on a BCD which is not the "live" one.
Check in Tools > Options that you don't have "automatically load...." set to point to a BCD which is not the one responsible for booting.

Back