Different multi-boot menus

erkki

Situation in the start (last Januari): I had multiboot XP, W7 and W8.1, and with EasyBCD I had edited names of the choices. The multiboot menu was a graphical light blue display with square images and choice texts. This was the situation a couple of years.

Then, using EasyBCD, I removed XP from the multiboot menu, and emptied the XP partition by formatting it. All was now as expected, light blue menu with two choices, which worked as expected. Then I replaced the W8.1 hdd by a new ssd and in the process I copied the old contents to the new disk, and made this ssd "the first disk" in bios. With EasyBCD in W7 I arranged that the light blue menu is working again.

And the final task was to install W10 to an empty but formatted partition. All went fine, and at the first boot with the ready W10 I saw the light blue menu with W10 choice. The W10 install process had made it. The choices were: Windows 10, Earlier Windows version, Windows 8.1 and Windows 7. So W10 had found somewhere the old choice for XP, even if there is no XP partition. After that first time the selection menu has every time been white text on black background, the texts of the four choices are same as in light blue menu.

Now I was scary to change anything with EasyBCD, and in fact this black-and-white menu is better because it comes at earlier stage and gives a faster way to the selection. The light blue menu first started an app from W10 or W8.1 and if I want another operation system, the PC reboots first.

Some days ago W10 had difficulties in updates and when it said that something could not be installed and asked a reboot, I rebooted, and now I saw the light blue menu again - but only once. Next and the following boots were black-and-white again.

THE QUESTION: what is going on here with two types of boot menus? It would be very helpful if I could make a selection in EasyBCD that do I want to use a black-and-white or light-blue menu. And is it safe to remove the useless old XP entry?

- erkki

Back