Dual boot from 2 separate drives(both inside the same PC)won't work...

Wimsomnia

Hi,

I tried to have a dual-boot with Windows 10 and Linux Mint,
each on separate drives.

But even by following the instructions on your website,
it didn't work.

Every time I tried to boot "into" the Linux drive, I got this
"old school" black screen with details of grub.

All help is welcome!

Greetings from Belgium!!

Firstly, is your PC UEFI ?
If so read EasyBCD and UEFI
If not, are you using the latest EasyBCD ?
Linux has a habit of regularly charging the boot architecture, which "breaks" the chain EasyBCD sets in its ANG folders.
EasyBCD 2.3 cannot boot the very latest Linux distros for that reason, and 2.4 was released with specific fixes for the problem.

As you're UEFI, you can't boot into Linux from Windows 10.
That's not a problem or restriction in EasyBCD, it's by design of Microsoft and implemented in the .efi version of bootmgr used on a UEFI PC.
It's explained in the first link I posted.
The only circumvention short of reinstalling W10 in legacy BIOS/MBR mode, is to Install Linux in the old fashioned way.
Back when I last used Linux over a decade ago, its default action was to take over the boot process unless you took steps to stop it doing so early in the installation. So many PCs got screwed by people not realizing that to be the case that Linux distros changed the default not to take over the boot.
Now, on a W10 UEFI PC, if you want a Linux dual-boot, you'll need to force the Linux install to grab the boot the way it used to.
Once grub is in control you can chain to the W10 bootmgr from there to effect your dual boot.

When I boot I do have a choice: Windows 10 and "Neosmart Linux", when I choose the last one, that's the screen I get. But I don't know if I have to give some kind of command there and if so, what it should be....

Read the first link I posted.
You cannot boot linux through W10 under UEFI
You'll need to Install Linux again and let it take control of the boot process.
There's no way EasyBCD can circumvent MS code which forbids booting Linux or even legacy Windows like XP.

Back