Dual boot system on 2 SSDs, but EasyBCD booting from a third drive...! Help...!

DaveyDualBoot

Hi,
Hopefully someone will be able to help me out of what might seem like a complete mess.

A dual-boot Win7 and Win10 machine, each OS is on a separate SSD. All has worked fine since January 2020 - the point when Win 7 support stopped, and it became necessary to start using Win10 for any online stuff.

I've just reached a point where my 240GB Win10 SSD is on the small side, so have purchased a new 1TB replacement. Unfortunately, both Acronis True Image and Macrium Reflect create a clone of my original which fails to boot - indeed isn't even recognised as a system disc. (I can't understand why...!)

Delving further, it appears that, unbeknownst to me, EasyBCD is actually booting from my E drive...! (which I thought was data only!) I've not a clue how that happened, but it is what it is. And there are absolutely no visible signs of boot files anywhere on the E drive!

Somehow I need to get the EasyBCD boot details off my E drive, and onto my C drive. Then there may be a chance that a clone of that C drive will work.

Any help/advice will be massively appreciated!

Cheers,
Dave

PS Two things I should add to the above - firstly I can confirm that even with the original C drive SSD in place, it won't boot UNLESS the E Drive is installed. Which makes sense when you look at the EasyBCD screenshot.
And secondly, that screenshot was taken when the Win7 drive had been temporarily disconnected - hence 'Device Unknown' for the Win7 Boot Loader.

Attachments

• EasyBCD Screenshot.jpg
    EasyBCD Screenshot.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 5
You can use EasyBCD to change which drive is the boot drive: Changing the Boot Partition

You might still have problems getting the clone to boot, Macrium and Acronis are both famous for this. Another option in that case is to use EasyRE post-clone to fix the resulting restored disk layout to boot.

Back