EasyBCD 1.52 with Vista,XP, Kubuntu across 3 drives...

c_martini

I am running 3 drives in my system, 2 on a regular IDE controller and 1 on the SATA controller. I have tried to run the Kubuntu live DVD environment and then its installer, but it installs grub to hd1 by default, overwriting the xp bootloader. I prefer to have the boot loader on the sata drive where Vista and Linux are...

When I restart, I get the grub error 22 loading at stage 1.5. I have also tried running the Kubuntu installer and tried to have it install grub to hd2 (sda), but this fails with an error during install after copying the Linux files to the ext3 partition. The Linux system seems to be installed, I just am unable to boot into it. Since I was unsuccessful using the Kubuntu live cd installer, I decided to try the EasyBCD boot loader from within Vista and confiure it that way.

Here below is the drive configuration according to Linux when running Gparted in the Kubuntu live boot cd environment:

1. (hd0) /dev/hda > /dev/hda1 ntfs Windows XP
2. (hd1) /dev/hdb > /dev/hdb1 fat32 (shared drive for which all o/s store documents and other misc files)
3. (hd2) /dev/sda
> /dev/sda-1 free .97mb
> /dev/sda1 ntfs 53.78gb Windows Vista
> /dev/sda-1 free .40mb
> /dev/sda2 ext3 21.59gb Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft
> /dev/sda3 extended 972.69mb
> /dev/sda/ linux-swap 972.66mb

I have installed EasyBCD in Vista. I have configured it to boot either Vista or the NeoGrub Bootloader for Kubuntu. I have not set it up to boot Xp on the other drive yet (one problem at a time).

When I try to boot into the NeoGrub bootloader to get into Kubuntu Linux, I get the following error: "Error Loading OS". I have configured the NeoGrub Bootloader Configuration File as follows:

title Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft
root (hd2,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-10-generic ro root=/dev/sda2
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.17-10-generic

I am not sure what I have done wrong in this case...

Any help or advice much appreciated.

Chris

No problem, don't worry about it.
I'm going to delete the other post, if you don't mind. Else, i'll just lock it.

I have now tried this and still getting the same error. Hmmm, I may have to start looking into the possibility that there is a problem other than how the bootloader is configured.. If I were to try and run the Kubuntu installation again, would you be able to advise me on how best to proceed?

I am thinking to first try the alernate install cd and do a text install with manual intervention so I can specify all aspects of the install such as where the grub bootloader is installed and how the disk is partitioned. I will then try to get back into Vista, install EasyBCD and reconfigure..

I don't know what else to try ... :crazy:

OK, this has not worked either. Same error. I think the only thing left that I could try is to just install Kubuntu Linux on hd0 along side XP. Then I can come back to Vista on hd2 and configure EasyBCD to boot Linux and WinXP from hd0.

At the moment, the mbr is a mess on that first drive from the previous Linux install attempt where the grub boot loader was installed to that drive. I will have to first try to restore the ntldr back to that drive before trying to partition and install Linux on that drive...

:crazy:

Back