EasyBCD 2.3 & 2.4 not working w/some Windows Insider systems, build 18323

I believe the problem started with build 18327, but it continues with 18323. I had EasyBCD 2.3 installed and working, but after upgrading to 18327 and 18323 it doesn't work. If I attempt to start it, I get the usual "do you want EasyBCD to make changes to your system", I click YES, but then nothing happens. So I downloaded EasyBCD 2.4 and attempted to install it, but that produced error codes pertaining to DOTNET. I re-enabled DOTNET 3, but still got errors. I tried to install dotnet 2 after downloading from Microsoft's site, but couldn't get it to work. Any help appreciated!

EasyBCD works out-of-the-box with the .NET distribution that comes with Windows 10, but I haven't validated that it runs under 18327. I'm a little confused on the build numbers you're reporting though, you say it started with 18327 but continues with 18323, but 18323 is a lower build than 18327. Did you mean the reverse?

That was a typo, I should've said it started with 18317 and continues with 18323. Sorry for the confusion. EasyBCD was working just fine "out of the box" before I upgraded those 3 systems to 18317. So then I attempted to uninstall EasyBCD 2.3 and install EasyBCD 2.4. That's when the install problems with dotNET started. Everything on these systems works just fine except EasyBCD.

I just tried a clean installation of 18317 (from ISO) and the first thing I did was download and install EasyBCD 2.4 to see if it works out of the box (note the Windows build watermark in the lower right corner and the EasyBCD version in the titlebar):

Windows 10 RS5-2019-01-29-15-57-51.png

So the behavior your running into is definitely not the normal. Can you check the event viewer for any errors?

Well I just tried on several systems. The one that I was able to reproduce the problem on is giving an error when trying to start the event viewer. The message said "MMC was unable to complete the snap-in". So I agree that that this system is having abnormal behavior. I will reinstall Windows 10 Pro 64 bit public version, then upgrade it to 18323 with an ISO I've made, then see what happens (the ISO is not bootable).
The other desktop that was having the problem is now working just fine, don't ask me why the problem just went away there. I've read reports in the Insider forum of people having problems after installing that go away after a couple of reboots. Again don't ask me to explain that! All I can say that in spite of having decades of computer experience, there are times when computers and my wife do things that I can't explain! :smile:
I will assume the problem's in this one system in one of the partitions that's got some local problem. It'll take a few hours to reinstall Windows Public version, upgrade it to Insider build 18323, attempt to reinstall EasyBCD on it and test, but I'll report back in a day or two after I've had the time to do this. Again though, evidence at this point seems to point to a problem on this one Windows 18323 install of mine.

OK, problem resolved. I clean installed 18290, installed EasyBCD 2.4 and it worked with no problems. Upgraded to 18323, tested EasyBCD and again no problems. Obviously something had gotten corrupted in that system, but I have no idea what, how, or why. I'm just happy to say this is resolved. :smile:

Back