easybcd broken starting leader

rolle880

I wonder about this easybcd windows starting blue bootmenu that turned black and the writings there.

So a cause of a broken starting leader could be the problem. Beacuse i cant either tick in the metro bootloader option that is supposed to change the menu back to blue again with markable feilds.

I have tried the two codes:

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard

bcdedit /set "{current}" bootmenupolicy legacy

If you set the boot menu to default to an old OS e.g. W7 instead of the controlling OS e.g. W10, that can cause the PC to boot using the legacy boot menu instead of the GUI. Put the default back to W10 and the GUI menu reappears.

EasyBCD view settings

Yeah I dont know why you sent that message because it doesnt explain my question but good to know the basics at least. Now I want to know how to repair the easybcd boot menu screen. So that it doesnt show me the legacy windows 7 part.

So where can I find the settings for this black window.

There is no "EasyBCD boot menu screen". EasyBCD is not a boot manager. The boot menu is 100% MS bootmgr.
EasyBCD helps you to manage the contents of bootmgr's BCD store.
"view settings" shows you what they are, in response to your question
Where could I find these settings

You don't. That's why EasyBCD exists: it lets you customize, configure, and fix things beyond what limited options Microsoft reveals in its basic configuration utility.

Just install EasyBCD, configure it to use the metro bootloader, and once you've rebooted and verified you're happy with the results, you can feel free to uninstall EasyBCD and pretend it was never there. We won't take it personally!

The BCD is insanely complicated and most of Microsoft's documented commands don't work the way you (or they) would expect them to. An insane amount of research, testing, and development went into getting EasyBCD to really give you the results you expect when you configure it and the results of these toils are shared freely with you. It's up to you, though!

I am using EasyBCD to manage 3 drives each with windows installations (W11 Pro, W11 Pro 2 and W10 Pro), however, Easy BCD shows all 3 installations, but when booting up there is no boot manager showing and it always boots up into windows 11 (the one set to default). I have tried just about eveything mentioned on different websites to bring up the boot manager, but to no avail!

Last edited by a moderator:
How did you install the various OSs?
If you install multiple versions of Windows from oldest to newest, with each one able to see anything previously installed, then MS will take care of the multi-booting for you. It all happens automatically, with each new system being added to the previously existing BCD and the bootmgr being updated to the latest level.
If however you install multiple Windows "blind" on separate devices and then place them all together in one PC, you'll have to manage what MS would have done for you in the "normal" situation.
Firstly, you're going to have multiple BCDs instead of just one, so you have to ensure that any changes you make with EasyBCD are to the same BCD that your PC is using to control the boot (only one of them will be functional).
Run Disk Management.
Its flags have the following meanings on MBR/BIOS PCs

"boot" = "this is the system you're running"
"system" = "this is where I found the boot files for the currently running system"
"active" (on the first HDD in the BIOS boot sequence) = "this is where I started the search for the boot files"
"active" (on subsequent HDDs in the BIOS boot sequence) ="this is where I will look if I don't find something in the MBR on the first HDD"

If your PC is UEFI, then the "active" flag no longer exists on any GPT devices and "system" will mark which of the EFI System Partitions is booting the PC.
Paste a screenshot of Disk Management and the contents of EasyBCD "view settings" here and we'll take a look at what's happening.

You don't. That's why EasyBCD exists: it lets you customize, configure, and fix things beyond what limited options Microsoft reveals in its basic configuration utility.

Just install EasyBCD, configure it to use the metro bootloader, and once you've rebooted and verified you're happy with the results, you can feel free to uninstall EasyBCD and pretend it was never there. We won't take it personally!

The BCD is insanely complicated and most of Microsoft's documented commands don't work the way you (or they) would expect them to. An insane amount of research, testing, and development went into getting EasyBCD to really give you the results you expect when you configure it and the results of these toils are shared freely with you. It's up to you, though!
After having a Multi Booting System, using 4 SSDs (two Win 11 and two Win 10s as i love Themes) for a while, i tried to make a backup and it went wrong recking my multi booting set up. So i reformatted drive C: and remembered EasyBCD as my savior.
I too was seeing a Black Screen listing my 4 SSDs, but due to having Vascular Dementia, could not remember why i was seeing a black screen instead of the Blue screen listing my Drives. So i singed up here and went down the list of member issues, coming upon this topic. THANKYOU, THANKYOU,

mqudsi

, as you have solved my issue which was the same as rolle880, he may not have been able to explain his issue well, but when you said "use the metro bootloader" the penny dropped and i set up my system to use The Metro Bootloader, and Bosh, boot screen back to normal.

Love this program sooo much, many thanks from an old man who is loosing his marbles (I would never uninstall such a fantastic bit of Kit, Donation coming very soon, keep up the fantastic work)

Hey, thanks @KOSH1966 - sorry, I've been extremely busy of late and didn't get a chance to see your message until now. I'm glad we were able to help!

We are considering changing the name of the "enable Metro bootloader" option to make it more obvious what toggling that feature will do.

Credit where its due mqudsi, your reply got me back in the game of Multi Booting Systems, after a full day of going through notes i had made at an earlier point (that made little sense to my Vascular Dementia Mind).

Fantastic idea about The Metro Bootloader. I only wrecked my C Drive, as all the other drives in my set up were untouched by my tampering Ha Ha. EasyBCD was in my lifeline, got me back up and running in no time after i re installed Win 11 on my C Drive, just added them, one by one using EasyBCD. This time i had the chance to Re Name each SSD as i added it to the multi boot, again this assisted my Dementia as seeing all my drives Flash Up and Named in The Metro Bootloader each start up, helped very much. No way is it ever getting uninstalled, i log in daily just in case another has a similar issue to me and i can lend a hand.

Back