EasyBCD Question : Hiding unnecessary boot partitions

Glennzone

Hello all,

I've just finally configured EasyBCD to boot two distinctly Windows 10 installations each on their own respective drive. My question is this :

When booting to configuration on the first entry (internal drive 0), I want internal drive 1's C:\ drive hidden, and vice versa. How do I best do this ?

It seems like I should be able to put a script in there somewhere that runs the set of diskpart commands to hide the volume - perhaps with PowerShell, and then restores its visibility on shutdown.

The concept is to make the partition\volume on the second drive inaccessible while booted up on the first, and vice versa.

Is there a way within EasyBCD to set this up ? Or need I do this elsewhere ?

Thanks,
Glennzone

Unlike grub, MS bootmgr (whilst recognizing) does not itself use "hidden" partitions or contain any code to dynamically manipulate them, so there's nothing that EasyBCD can fiddle with to achieve what you want.
I used to do what you require using a now defunct Neosmart program "Hide 'N Seek"
See
for historic interest
That was for the entirely practical purpose of protecting Vista/W7 restore points from XP which otherwise regularly "cleaned" them out of existence in the mistaken belief that they were corrupt, because MS had completely changed the format and function without bothering to change the name.
The need for that died along with XP, hence the redundant nature of the product.
If all you require is that each OS operates independently without any access to the other. you can do that quite simply with Disk Management.
Just remove the disk letter for W10 "b" when W10 "a" is booted and vice versa.
Explorer is unaware of (doesn't display and can't access) any disk or partition which hasn't been assigned a letter in its registry map, so although your boot menu will still look the same, whichever OS you boot will appear when running to be alone on your PC.

Back