I would like to fix what Windows 7 thinks about his system and boot disk volumes

lopta

I would like to fix what Windows 7 thinks about his system and boot disk volumes and where are they located.

I'm talking about the Windows 7 installation, from the usb installation usb stick created with rufus or universal usb installer. Installer would take the volume 0 or the highest volume number like 6. For example if I use windows 7 installation DVD it would always use the volume 0 or the lowest number.
Now the problems is when USB stick shifts the volume number in the first parts of installation procedure like from volume 0 to volume 5 or if it reverse the volumes with actual boot volume like switching the places. After the installation completion , windows will work but there would be a lot of hives errors. Also a lot of things would get the lags. Like, installation of programs or on shutting down the windows which would get you the lag or in wmi timeouts.
Now the solutio would be
Manual editing with the bcdedit and bcdboot also you would need to use diskpart and regedit on the end. Its long and painful process.

By bcdboot I mean connecting the right path and volume with appropriate GUID

For example in registry user would need to edit hives in
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\hivelist]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\hivelist]
for boot and system.
Also in registry there are a lots of apps that would get the system HarddiskVolume and store it in their registry environment and use it as their environment.

My question is could EasyBCD do a most of changes and swapping?

Last edited:
Back