Merge two SSDs into one dual boot SSD

mister_x

Hey there, been rooting around the internet and can't seem to find an answer to this proposal. I have 2 SSDs cloned with the same Windows 10 system that are loaded with different programs and config that need to be kept separate. One SSD is a 500GB, the other is a 256GB(approx 50% free). I would like to clone the 256GB onto a separate partition of the 500GB to create a dual boot system. This is the 500GB below. Can I do this?

dell.jpg

There's no reason you can't do what you want, but read the small print of whatever partition manager software you use very carefully before plunging in.
Most PMs have many ways of moving stuff around, some suitable for data partitions, some for OSs, some can shrink during move, some not, some will move an OS leaving it untouched, some will be "clever" and modify the OS (and the BCD) during the move which might not leave it quite the way you were expecting.
Subject to that, once successfully moved, you can use EasyBCD to add an entry to the BCD for the new OS then two options will appear in a menu when you boot
Adding Entries
Of course, you don't actually need to move the 2nd W10 at all if you mount both SSDs.
You can still add an entry to either BCD pointing to the OS on the other drive and dual-boot in exactly the same way.

Back